Patient Comments: Photodynamic Therapy - Candidate

For what condition did you have photodynamic therapy?

Comment from: Yatbutterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had the blue light treatment (photodynamic therapy) on my face for pre-cancerous treatment. The dermatologist made light of the treatment and didn't prepare me for the ill affects I have had. Now that my skin has fully healed, my skin is terribly drawn and damaged. I am so sad.

Comment from: Ellen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had photodynamic therapy (PDT) on the front of my calves 10 days ago for actinic keratosis (AK). It was the worst pain ever. The nurse cleaned my calves with acetone, applied the Kerastick to them, wrapped them in Saran wrap and ACE bandages and sent me on my way. I came back 3 hours later for the light treatment. I don't know how I made it through the entire treatment. The nurse was spraying water on my legs with one hand and aiming a small electric fan on my legs with her other hand. The pain was excruciating. I thought I would get some relief after the 16 minute 40 second treatment. Boy, was I wrong! I had no idea that I wouldn't be up and functioning in just a few days. Because I had significant sun damage, I had more pain. The AK was constantly itching, and I was at the dermatologist frequently having them frozen. When she suggested Levulan Kerastick with blue light therapy I was ready, or so I thought. However, I have spent most of the last 10 days in my recliner with my legs propped up on pillows. My calves are so swollen. I moisturize three time a day as directed, but when I have to stand up, the weight on my legs causes cracking, bleeding, and burning. I had this treatment to stop the itching AK. Now I'm starting to peel slightly and it itches a lot. My calves are still bright red with a lot of brown crusts. I am so looking forward to the crusts peeling off. I weighed 116 pounds 10 days ago. Because of my lack of movement, I weigh 122 today. It's hard to be active in a recliner. I'm supposed to have my face treated in April. I've had two cancer surgeries on my face, and have several small areas of AK on my nose. I dread going through this again, but would rather suffer through to keep from having more surgeries on my face. Next time I will definitely ask for pain medications. I am supposed to have the back of my calves done too, but I'm not sure I'm up to that. If I had known how painful this procedure was, I would have asked for some serious pain medication or would have taken at least four ibuprofen before the light treatment.

Comment from: fedup, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

After having this photodynamic therapy 3 times for Bowen's disease, I can't stand the pain any more. Even after nerve block etc., it makes no difference. I think it is bad that they play it down and don't tell patients how it really is, especially on fingers and sensitive parts.

Comment from: Windi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Day 10 after photodynamic therapy (PDT) to my face and although I coped with the treatment, the healing is extremely traumatic. I was not prepared for the burning, redness, sloughing, pustules formation, itching, pin pricking pain, leathery feeling to my skin and looking so bad. I've cried a few times and I am struggling to think it will ever look like me again. No one prepared me for this. I was told afterwards that I had had a severe reaction which will mean a good result in the end. I was advised to have it by my skin specialist after two basal cell carcinomas to my nose in a 6 month period. I have been confined to home, staying indoors, ordering groceries online. It has been suggested I may need a second treatment. It won't be happening.

Comment from: Ecm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had photodynamic therapy (PDT) done 12 days ago for 3 actinic keratosis spots on my face, one on my nose and 1 on each cheek. It was the most painful recovery that I have ever experienced. My face was very swollen after and turned tomato red. Between day 6 and 11 my face was constantly bleeding and painful and beet red. Bleeding slowed down but the redness has not gone down as of today which is day 12. I would never have this procedure done again, most painful experience ever.

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Suggestions for getting yourself through photodynamic therapy, from a three-time patient are the following. Pre-medicate with Tylenol or Advil. Bring your music, makes it go much faster. Stay out of sun or any light for 48 hours. Moisturize, and finally find somebody to laugh with. You will be safe and beautiful on the other end. Best of luck.

Photodynamic Therapy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with photodynamic therapy.