Patient Comments: Photodynamic Therapy - Experience

For what condition did you have photodynamic therapy?

Comment from: RDROSE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I just had a photodynamic therapy (PDT) treatment two days ago. The day of the treatment I was fine with some redness and heat. Day two was horrible. I had constant pain that would not subside -- it was like I had acid on my skin. I kept an ice pack and small fan blowing on me for close to 24 hours. At almost exactly 48 hours the burning was replaced with tight swollen dry skin all over my face that is itchy, but much more tolerable. My doctor had obviously not had anyone have a reaction like mine. They could not tell me anything that would help the burning, but I made due with painkillers and a cool breeze. I wish my doctor would have told me driving myself home right after might not be a good idea due to the sun exposure. I think that probably had quite a bit to do with my reaction. Zero sun exposure is best. Today is day three and my skin is still red and is really tight especially around my mouth. I am also starting to peel around my eyebrows. I am using Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Moisturizer for the dryness.

Comment from: Peter van Kets, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

I have just undergone photodynamic therapy (PDT) to my face to treat sun damage. I have a high pain threshold and that treatment was the most painful experience I have ever had. I have rowed unsupported across two oceans, trekked to the South Pole, broken my neck, and spent my life doing crazy things. That pain trumped it all. Next time - if there is. I will ask to be anaesthetized.

Comment from: SL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

After the PDT light treatment for AK's the best pain relief method I found was to apply Solbar Shield on a regular basis. Even though this is a sunscreen the titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are very soothing to the skin.

Photodynamic Therapy - Skin Question: For what condition(s) did you seek photodynamic therapy?