Patient Comments: Photodynamic Therapy - Candidate

For what condition did you have photodynamic therapy?

Comment from: Indysailor, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I recently had the PDT treatment done. The first surprise was the use of acetone to cleanse the skin after that another cream applied and a 1 hour waiting period. Then a second cleansing with acetone. The product was then applied and the lamps turned on. It wasn't long before I was thinking about stopping due to the increasing stinging all around my face. The nurse came over with a book or something and began fanning the air which brought some relief or at least I thought it did. Might have just taken my mind off the pain. This is now day 4 and I look like Mr tomato head,starting to peal but the majority of pain is gone. Some swelling under my eyes. I have applied triple Antibiotic Ointment + pain Relief which has helped a bunch.

Comment from: baby boomer baby oil, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I received PDT for actinic keratoses and brown spots on my skin. I am on day 3 of my recovery. Fortunately the nurse used a pain relieving cream for 15 mintues before the blu-light was applied. The first night at home I could hardly sleep, the stinging and pain were so bad and yes I took an ibuprofen. The second night there was actual throbbing even though I was using two pillows as suggested. It now looks like I am breaking out into a dermatitis or rash on my forehead. Too much lotions? I don't know I will have to call the dermatologis in the morning. I would have to say neither the nurse or the dermatologist mentioned the pain and the constant stinging. I could of been easily given more information on this but I wasn't.

Comment from: All good so far..., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I had the blue light treatment for AK's and apparently one of the lucky ones that didn't have any pain during the 17 minutes I was in the light "booth." The attendant had given me a small fan which was a great distraction (I wish I had thought to listen to music on my phone/Pandora, it would have made the time go by faster. No real pain/just itchy for first 24 hrs, no redness for the first 8 hours and then you start to see the spotting of the AK's (actually relieved to see that as they are apparently kill zones) - definitely beats regular cryo freezing.

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have very sensitive skin and had photodynamic therapy done on my face. During the treatment I felt a little tingling in certain spots, but for the most part, it was painless. After the procedure, I was red. The next day I was very red, and my forehead had mild swelling. Believe me, I've had worse sunburns than this! On day 3, it looked like a mild sunburn, and a crusty spot or two. I'm amazed how quickly I am healing. I stayed in very low light indoors for two days, applied sunscreen every few hours alternating with a good moisturizer when I felt dry, as instructed.

Comment from: Gerald, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I had photodynamic therapy treatment with Metvix cream and have to say the light treatment was intense and I am sure there must be someone out there that can bring technology to the party to soothe the head while undergoing this. The specialist used a water spray continuously and without that I am sure I would not have coped. Take a med before doing this if there is scalp treatment. The treatment on the face and nose was quite easy, but the scalp! Day two and I am looking like sunburnt frazzle and still sensitive but coping quite easily without medication. Judging on the results my friends have had I cannot wait to see the result in 10 days! Prevention is better than cure, so live with the pain!

Comment from: RDROSE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I just had a photodynamic therapy (PDT) treatment two days ago. The day of the treatment I was fine with some redness and heat. Day two was horrible. I had constant pain that would not subside -- it was like I had acid on my skin. I kept an ice pack and small fan blowing on me for close to 24 hours. At almost exactly 48 hours the burning was replaced with tight swollen dry skin all over my face that is itchy, but much more tolerable. My doctor had obviously not had anyone have a reaction like mine. They could not tell me anything that would help the burning, but I made due with painkillers and a cool breeze. I wish my doctor would have told me driving myself home right after might not be a good idea due to the sun exposure. I think that probably had quite a bit to do with my reaction. Zero sun exposure is best. Today is day three and my skin is still red and is really tight especially around my mouth. I am also starting to peel around my eyebrows. I am using Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Moisturizer for the dryness.

Photodynamic Therapy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with photodynamic therapy.