Patient Comments: Photodynamic Therapy - Experience

For what condition did you have photodynamic therapy?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have just had PDT treatment done and I have NEVER experienced that kind of pain before, it was close to unbearable and I think one should be informed to a more expanded view of just how painful this procedure can be. It has been 5 days and I am peeling severely around the damaged areas with still some sore spots. For me, I would think twice before having to endure that pain again.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I'm getting this treatment for the precancers on my face.

Published: May 02

I had the treatment done for a second time yesterday. It is worth any pain you may experience, and as a bonus, your skin will look better. One thing that will make your recovery more bearable is to lie in a darkened room with your head propped up and keep a fan pointed at your face (on low speed). If you are lucky as I am, your “other half” will take care of you. No pain, no gain on this one.

Comment from: Indysailor, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I recently had the PDT treatment done. The first surprise was the use of acetone to cleanse the skin after that another cream applied and a 1 hour waiting period. Then a second cleansing with acetone. The product was then applied and the lamps turned on. It wasn't long before I was thinking about stopping due to the increasing stinging all around my face. The nurse came over with a book or something and began fanning the air which brought some relief or at least I thought it did. Might have just taken my mind off the pain. This is now day 4 and I look like Mr tomato head,starting to peal but the majority of pain is gone. Some swelling under my eyes. I have applied triple Antibiotic Ointment + pain Relief which has helped a bunch.

Comment from: baby boomer baby oil, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I received PDT for actinic keratoses and brown spots on my skin. I am on day 3 of my recovery. Fortunately the nurse used a pain relieving cream for 15 mintues before the blu-light was applied. The first night at home I could hardly sleep, the stinging and pain were so bad and yes I took an ibuprofen. The second night there was actual throbbing even though I was using two pillows as suggested. It now looks like I am breaking out into a dermatitis or rash on my forehead. Too much lotions? I don't know I will have to call the dermatologis in the morning. I would have to say neither the nurse or the dermatologist mentioned the pain and the constant stinging. I could of been easily given more information on this but I wasn't.

Comment from: All good so far..., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I had the blue light treatment for AK's and apparently one of the lucky ones that didn't have any pain during the 17 minutes I was in the light "booth." The attendant had given me a small fan which was a great distraction (I wish I had thought to listen to music on my phone/Pandora, it would have made the time go by faster. No real pain/just itchy for first 24 hrs, no redness for the first 8 hours and then you start to see the spotting of the AK's (actually relieved to see that as they are apparently kill zones) - definitely beats regular cryo freezing.

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have very sensitive skin and had photodynamic therapy done on my face. During the treatment I felt a little tingling in certain spots, but for the most part, it was painless. After the procedure, I was red. The next day I was very red, and my forehead had mild swelling. Believe me, I've had worse sunburns than this! On day 3, it looked like a mild sunburn, and a crusty spot or two. I'm amazed how quickly I am healing. I stayed in very low light indoors for two days, applied sunscreen every few hours alternating with a good moisturizer when I felt dry, as instructed.

Comment from: Gerald, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I had photodynamic therapy treatment with Metvix cream and have to say the light treatment was intense and I am sure there must be someone out there that can bring technology to the party to soothe the head while undergoing this. The specialist used a water spray continuously and without that I am sure I would not have coped. Take a med before doing this if there is scalp treatment. The treatment on the face and nose was quite easy, but the scalp! Day two and I am looking like sunburnt frazzle and still sensitive but coping quite easily without medication. Judging on the results my friends have had I cannot wait to see the result in 10 days! Prevention is better than cure, so live with the pain!

Photodynamic Therapy - Skin Question: For what condition(s) did you seek photodynamic therapy?