Photodynamic Therapy Index
Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a procedure that treats precancerous cells, in addition to other types of cancer cells. The medical treatment does this with the help of a photosensitizing drug and a light source that activates the applied drug, destroying cancer cells. PDT is approved to treat non-small cell lung cancer, esophageal cancer, and Barrett's esophagus. It's used to treat actinic keratosis, as well as acne, rosacea, skin cancer, sun damage, oily skin, wrinkles, warts, psoriasis, and enlarged sebaceous glands.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the
base of hair follicles. This...learn more »
In This Article
Acne (Pimples) Article
- What is acne?
- What causes acne?
- What other skin conditions can mimic acne?
- When should someone start acne treatment?
- What can people do to get rid of their acne?
- What are other things you can do for acne? Are there any home remedies for acne?
- What is a good basic skin regimen?
- How does a doctor treat acne? Is it possible to remove acne scars?
- How would you summarize current-day acne treatment?
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...learn more »
In This Article
Esophageal Cancer Article
- Esophageal cancer facts*
- What is the esophagus?
- What is esophageal cancer?
- What are the causes or risk factors for esophageal cancer?
- What are the symptoms and signs of esophageal cancer?
- How is esophageal cancer diagnosed?
- How is esophageal cancer staged?
- What are the stages of esophageal cancer?
- What are the treatment for esophageal cancer?
- What kinds of doctors treat esophageal cancer?
- What are the statistics related to esophageal cancer?
- What support is available for those with esophageal cancer?
- What is the prognosis with esophageal cancer?
- Can esophageal cancer be prevented?
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...learn more »
Psoriasis is a long-term skin condition that may cause large plaques of red, raised skin, flakes of dry skin, and skin scales....learn more »
In This Article
- Psoriasis facts
- What is psoriasis?
- What are psoriasis causes and risk factors?
- What are the different types of psoriasis?
- Can psoriasis affect my joints?
- Can psoriasis affect only my nails?
- What are psoriasis symptoms and signs? What does psoriasis look like?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose psoriasis?
- Eczema vs. psoriasis
- How many people have psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis contagious?
- Is there a cure for psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis hereditary?
- What kind of doctor treats psoriasis?
- What is the treatment for psoriasis?
- What creams, lotions, and home remedies are available for psoriasis?
- Are psoriasis shampoos available?
- What oral medications are available for psoriasis?
- What injections or infusions are available for psoriasis?
- Is there a psoriasis diet?
- What about light therapy for psoriasis?
- What is the long-term prognosis with psoriasis? What are complications of psoriasis?
- Is it possible to prevent psoriasis?
- What does the future hold for psoriasis?
- Is there a national psoriasis support group?
- Where can people get more information on psoriasis?
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...learn more »