Photodynamic Therapy Index
Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a procedure that treats precancerous cells, in addition to other types of cancer cells. The medical treatment does this with the help of a photosensitizing drug and a light source that activates the applied drug, destroying cancer cells. PDT is approved to treat non-small cell lung cancer, esophageal cancer, and Barrett's esophagus. It's used to treat actinic keratosis, as well as acne, rosacea, skin cancer, sun damage, oily skin, wrinkles, warts, psoriasis, and enlarged sebaceous glands.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the
base of hair follicles. This...learn more »
In This Article
Acne (Pimples) Article
- What is acne?
- What causes acne?
- What other skin conditions can mimic acne?
- When should you start acne treatment?
- What can you do about acne on your own?
- What are other things you can do for acne? Are there any home remedies for acne?
- What is a good basic skin regimen?
- What can the doctor do for acne?
- How would you sum up current-day acne treatment?
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...learn more »
In This Article
Esophageal Cancer Article
- Esophageal cancer facts*
- What is the esophagus?
- What is cancer?
- What are the types of esophageal cancer?
- What are esophageal cancer causes and risk factors?
- What are esophageal cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is esophageal cancer diagnosed?
- What are the stages of esophageal cancer?
- What is the treatment for esophageal cancer?
- Radiation therapy
- Should people get a second opinion after an esophageal cancer diagnosis?
- What are the side effects of treatment for cancer of the esophagus?
- What follow-up care is necessary during recovery?
- Where can people get support for esophageal cancer?
- How can people with esophageal cancer participate in clinical trials?
- Where can people find more information about esophageal cancer?
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due
to tobacco smoke. Lung...learn more »
Psoriasis is a long-term skin condition that may cause large plaques of red, raised skin, flakes of dry skin, and skin scales....learn more »
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...learn more »
In This Article
- Rosacea facts
- What is rosacea? Is rosacea contagious?
- Is rosacea like acne?
- What are causes and risk factors of rosacea?
- What are rosacea symptoms and signs?
- How is rosacea diagnosed?
- What happens to the nose and the eyes?
- How is rosacea cured?
- What about using acne medicine?
- What is the treatment for rosacea?
- What should be avoided? What foods are good for rosacea?
- What natural remedies can help rosacea?
- Does rosacea get worse with age?
- How should I care for the skin of my face?
- How are the telangiectasias (the red lines) treated?
- How is a rhinophyma (the W.C. Fields nose) treated?
- What effect may rosacea have on my life?
- Where can people get more information about rosacea?