Patient Comments: Phobias - Cause

What was the cause of your phobia?

Comment from: Ridley, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I have an extreme phobia of dogs. Ever since I was bitten on the arm by a 150lb great dane, I've feared and hated dogs. Just the sight of a dog is enough to put me in a panic attack.

Comment from: NikkiM0923, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have a phobia of Water ever since an accident when I was ten. I was on a boat that had different levels. I was on the third level and reading. Just because I didn't want to jump like everyone else. Too many people on one side on the first or second level and it flipped. I went to jump off and my leg got caught in a rope. I couldn't go. Finally when I was untangled from the rope the boat had flipped and sunk all the way and I was trapped. Ever since then the only water I can go near is water in my house. Baths and drinking and sink water.

Comment from: Totoro, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I'm really scared of clowns, the phobia started after a random dream about a clown trying to kill me, and since they have just freaked me out.

Comment from: karen5170@att.net, Female Published: March 09

I have 3 phobias which will cause an accident. 1 is I have a fear of spiders. 2nd a fear of being raped and 3rd of vomiting. I have had these fears most of my life. They are all ridiculous but I cannot shake them. Every certain part of the year is real bad. I have lost so much weight during these times.

Comment from: cdodson, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have a fear of fish, moths, and bugs. However I have no idea why. I've never had a traumatic incident with any of them. But whenever I encounter any of them I have a panic attack.

Comment from: pr3st0l3tt3r, Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have an extreme fear of snakes. Just thinking of a situation or presence of a snake will normally put me into a panic attack. Honestly, I think it stemmed from an episode of South Park when I was little and flipping through the channels, and a cartoon snake swallowed a whole cartoon person, but I'm not sure if that's quite it.

Phobias - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your phobia(s)?
Phobias - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your phobia?
Phobias - Types Question: Describe your phobia, how it makes you feel, and if you've received treatment for it.
Phobias - Assessment Question: Discuss the tests, exams, and/or different doctors you saw to treat your phobia.
Phobias - Coping Question: Please share tips and suggestions for how to cope with your particular phobia.