Patient Comments: Phlebitis - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Phlebitis.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

My mother had phlebitis and it appears I will follow in her footsteps. The first time I had injured myself by backing into a low shelf in a store that I did not see, and it damaged my leg in the calf area. Later when I found a red spot with pain, I associated it with a bruise but it was a blood clot; at the time I thought nothing of it. Then it traveled around to the front of my leg, and to the side, and up my leg to my knee. I finally went to the doctor when it reached my groin and they took x-rays. They said it was a superficial clot and not to worry, it would not go to my lungs. They put me on antibiotics and gave me ibuprofen. I was thankful I did not need blood thinners. I have had other times before this when I would get a red spot with pain, and it goes away. I have since had a red spot with pain and swelling. What I did also seems to help, I am not sure if this is right for everyone though. I wrapped my leg loosely and slept with it like that and in 3 days it was gone. When I let it go on its own, it seems to take longer. Today I am taking the day off work with a new one on my knee, I have wrapped loosely a heating pad on low heat and have my leg up. I will do this until it goes away, in the future this will most likely be what I do also. I will let my doctor know tomorrow and make sure he agrees this is best.

Comment from: Karebear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had EVLT (endovenous laser treatment) on both legs on October 28. Then 1 week later I had foam sclerotherapy on my right leg. One week later I had to go back because my leg swelled and was/is red where the injection was. I was diagnosed with severe phlebitis. I was prescribed ibuprofen 600mg 4 times a day. My veins are so inflamed and I have pain shooting to my ankle as well up behind my knee. This is very discouraging considering I had this done because of the pain and not cosmetic.

Comment from: Browneyes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was recently told by my doctor that I have phlebitis. It started about a year and half ago with slight swelling where I had broken my leg about 10 years ago and I thought it was pain from an old injury. The swelling would start at the point where I broke my leg then down to my ankle. It would last about 3 weeks and go away as fast as it came. The second time it happened was similar to the first time. The 3rd time my leg swelled and 3 weeks later it was not any better. My leg and foot swelled and I could not even wear shoes. The slightest movement or touch hurt. It has been 2 months now. I am taking medication for it but my leg is still tender and slightly swollen and I still can not wear shoes that touch the ankle. I had an ultrasound and thank God there is no blood clot. I am going to start doing a lot of walking.

Comment from: DEBBIEWILSON24, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

I have been having ongoing issues with my legs; swelling, skin itching, redness and then when I awoke from bed today it felt as if something had bitten me. I have deep burning and pain around my left ankle and much redness that is persistently getting worse as each hour passes.

Comment from: Mrs M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I have had 2 experiences that I now believe to be Phlebitis. 1. A day after a transatlantic flight I noticed a hot red area with a hard center above my left inner ankle. I treated it like a bite and it grew larger. Soaked in hot water - no help, finally saw a physician who prescribed 2 strong antibiotics - took this course and then treated with cortisone cream. I can still feel a hard center in that area of slightly darkened skin. About 15 weeks ago I broke the fibula of my left leg and used crutches for 6-7 weeks. Mobility has been limited since getting off crutches - no long walks with dog or friends - no long shopping trips until the last week or so. Two days ago I noticed another hot, red area with a hard center about 3 inches above the first and a bit more toward the back of my calf. I have used moist heat, hot to cold running water therapy and elevation and it is not getting any worse and in fact is not as sensitive as in the beginning. Will add ibuprofen today and contact my physician if it worsens or does not improve.

Comment from: HappyWife86, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My phlebitis started when I had a very sore elbow one day. I had no trauma to the elbow area. The next morning I woke up with a bruise that ran from the underside of my forearm to the underside of my armpit. It was extremely painful to touch, even to a feather-like touch. I had an extremely sore area on the inside of my elbow. There was a knot, warmth, and red bruise in that area. After an urgent ultrasound, I found out that the blood clot was there at my elbow and was blocking the flow of blood. What I learned was that you don't assume something is just a bruise, especially if it runs in a straight line.

Comment from: Jennifert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I went in for a hysterectomy one year ago. Within one week afterwards, my left leg had increased to such pain I couldn't walk and it was swollen to two and one half times the normal size. Red and burning. It was the worst case scenario. I was very near death, had one large mass of clots from ankle to thigh and clots in lung! One year later, I am still on warfarin and pain medications. Problem now, they told me 1 to 1.5 years to heal. Now even on pain medications my leg is flaring in so much pain.

Phlebitis - Risk Factors Question: If known, what were your risk factors for developing phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medications, did you receive for your phlebitis?