Patient Comments: Phlebitis - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Phlebitis.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had swelling in the lower part of my leg near the ankle. I went to the emergency room and the young lady intern told me that she thought it was Phlebitis. I was told to watch it for a few days and then either return to her or go to my family doctor. She prescribed Ibuprofen. I also bathed in warm water for a period of time and then I elevated my foot higher than my head. Later I would walk around in the house. I will continue until a few days have passed. I am 84 years of age and very active in all community affairs as well as politics. I attend the nursing homes trying to help with Medicare or social security. Thanks I do not take any medication and haven't in about 15 or more years. I am highly allergic to odors. I went through the allergy clinic and had to quit as I became allergic to their weekly medications. I was told I had leukemia. I was sent to a cancer center, but it turned out I was allergic to the weekly shots of allergy medicine. I do take the flu shots yearly, but this time I had a small reaction, but it didn't last too long. I am concerned to take the new flu medicine. I will decide later.

Phlebitis - Risk Factors Question: If known, what were your risk factors for developing phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medications, did you receive for your phlebitis?