Patient Comments: Phlebitis - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Phlebitis.

Comment from: Dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had a varicose vein removed. I recently had laser treatment to remove spider veins that developed. I have now developed phlebitis. My surgeon said I need to have further surgery and suggested that the original vein removal was not done very well. My leg is very tender and is discolored. I am not overweight. I go to the gym most days. I think I will not have any further surgery. I will just have to manage the condition myself.

Comment from: HappyWife86, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My phlebitis started when I had a very sore elbow one day. I had no trauma to the elbow area. The next morning I woke up with a bruise that ran from the underside of my forearm to the underside of my armpit. It was extremely painful to touch, even to a feather-like touch. I had an extremely sore area on the inside of my elbow. There was a knot, warmth, and red bruise in that area. After an urgent ultrasound, I found out that the blood clot was there at my elbow and was blocking the flow of blood. What I learned was that you don't assume something is just a bruise, especially if it runs in a straight line.

Comment from: Jennifert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I went in for a hysterectomy one year ago. Within one week afterwards, my left leg had increased to such pain I couldn't walk and it was swollen to two and one half times the normal size. Red and burning. It was the worst case scenario. I was very near death, had one large mass of clots from ankle to thigh and clots in lung! One year later, I am still on warfarin and pain medications. Problem now, they told me 1 to 1.5 years to heal. Now even on pain medications my leg is flaring in so much pain.

Comment from: bsu94, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

Was in hospital for C-diff colitis and was administered an IV. Long story short, they blew the vein and now the inside of my left arm hurts like crazy. It's very sore to the touch. I have been using moist heat, massage, and aspirin every day. It has almost been two weeks. OUCH!!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I just had routine bloodwork done and my arm seemed extra sore from the needle stick. Then it seemed to be a thin, very localized pain going from my armpit to my wrist. After 4 weeks of still feeling tender, I noticed a pink streak that looked like maybe blood poisoning .Phlebitis was the diagnosis and it was the inflamed vein that caused the streak-like appearance. I am now on a two week course of antibiotics.

Comment from: Lori, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 18

My experience with phlebitis: I had an IV for a migraine. Having never experienced anything like phlebitis before, I found my arm swelling, and had tenderness and red streaks 24 hours later. My first prescription was to limit movement, use hot packs, sling, ibuprofen, and hydrocodone. Three days later I was back in the emergency room for red streaks moving upward on my arm, and the inability of moving my arm. After four days, the red streak has moved into the elbow area with tenderness/swelling on the underside of the upper arm and in the elbow area. I still cannot move my arm with any ease. Hot packs are constant throughout the day.

Comment from: Jimmie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am 76 years old and have varicose veins (treated when I was younger (50's) and since the treatments are expensive and only temporary (new veins get involved) I never had more. On Friday, I had 4 hours of Moh's therapy for 2 skin cancers on my face. On Friday, I noticed redness above my right ankle. I am out and about, not bedridden. Today the area is very dark red and warm, with minimal pain. I cannot take my usual baby aspirin or Aleve for a week.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I developed a sore left calf which worsened the following day. I have varicose veins in that leg. It hurt to touch, was hard, and slightly reddened, and swollen. To bear weight on it after having it elevated was very painful. An ultrasound found superficial thrombophlebitis. It occurred at the time I would normally have a period, but skipped it. It has not yet resolved after 1 week.

Comment from: Ruth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

About three weeks ago I was awakened about 4:00AM with a very severe cramp in my left lower inner leg. This was so painful and I went though the usual procedures of dealing with the cramp; rubbing, stretching out the muscle and walking. I took a couple of aspirins and went back to bed. In the morning when I got up I had a huge bruise around the area of the cramp and felt a lump about the size of a chick pea. Gradually the bruising went and the lump has become slightly smaller. I had my Dr. examine it and he said that it was superficial phlebitis and it would subside in three or four weeks. I still have the lump and the leg is sometimes sore and numb. I continued to take aspirin until last Friday I had had to go off them as I am having hand surgery on Friday Jan 8/10. I am a little concerned as I have Factor V Laeden which makes a person susceptible to having clots. To my knowledge this is the first time I have experienced phlebitis.

Phlebitis - Risk Factors Question: If known, what were your risk factors for developing phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medications, did you receive for your phlebitis?