Patient Comments: Phlebitis - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Phlebitis.

Comment from: JasonA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I have phlebitis in my calf and it feels like my foot is going to explode; it is very painful.

Comment from: DEBBIEWILSON24, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

I have been having ongoing issues with my legs; swelling, skin itching, redness and then when I awoke from bed today it felt as if something had bitten me. I have deep burning and pain around my left ankle and much redness that is persistently getting worse as each hour passes.

Comment from: Mrs M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I have had 2 experiences that I now believe to be Phlebitis. 1. A day after a transatlantic flight I noticed a hot red area with a hard center above my left inner ankle. I treated it like a bite and it grew larger. Soaked in hot water - no help, finally saw a physician who prescribed 2 strong antibiotics - took this course and then treated with cortisone cream. I can still feel a hard center in that area of slightly darkened skin. About 15 weeks ago I broke the fibula of my left leg and used crutches for 6-7 weeks. Mobility has been limited since getting off crutches - no long walks with dog or friends - no long shopping trips until the last week or so. Two days ago I noticed another hot, red area with a hard center about 3 inches above the first and a bit more toward the back of my calf. I have used moist heat, hot to cold running water therapy and elevation and it is not getting any worse and in fact is not as sensitive as in the beginning. Will add ibuprofen today and contact my physician if it worsens or does not improve.

Comment from: Dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had a varicose vein removed. I recently had laser treatment to remove spider veins that developed. I have now developed phlebitis. My surgeon said I need to have further surgery and suggested that the original vein removal was not done very well. My leg is very tender and is discolored. I am not overweight. I go to the gym most days. I think I will not have any further surgery. I will just have to manage the condition myself.

Comment from: HappyWife86, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My phlebitis started when I had a very sore elbow one day. I had no trauma to the elbow area. The next morning I woke up with a bruise that ran from the underside of my forearm to the underside of my armpit. It was extremely painful to touch, even to a feather-like touch. I had an extremely sore area on the inside of my elbow. There was a knot, warmth, and red bruise in that area. After an urgent ultrasound, I found out that the blood clot was there at my elbow and was blocking the flow of blood. What I learned was that you don't assume something is just a bruise, especially if it runs in a straight line.

Comment from: Jennifert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I went in for a hysterectomy one year ago. Within one week afterwards, my left leg had increased to such pain I couldn't walk and it was swollen to two and one half times the normal size. Red and burning. It was the worst case scenario. I was very near death, had one large mass of clots from ankle to thigh and clots in lung! One year later, I am still on warfarin and pain medications. Problem now, they told me 1 to 1.5 years to heal. Now even on pain medications my leg is flaring in so much pain.

Comment from: bsu94, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

Was in hospital for C-diff colitis and was administered an IV. Long story short, they blew the vein and now the inside of my left arm hurts like crazy. It's very sore to the touch. I have been using moist heat, massage, and aspirin every day. It has almost been two weeks. OUCH!!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I just had routine bloodwork done and my arm seemed extra sore from the needle stick. Then it seemed to be a thin, very localized pain going from my armpit to my wrist. After 4 weeks of still feeling tender, I noticed a pink streak that looked like maybe blood poisoning .Phlebitis was the diagnosis and it was the inflamed vein that caused the streak-like appearance. I am now on a two week course of antibiotics.

Comment from: Lori, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 18

My experience with phlebitis: I had an IV for a migraine. Having never experienced anything like phlebitis before, I found my arm swelling, and had tenderness and red streaks 24 hours later. My first prescription was to limit movement, use hot packs, sling, ibuprofen, and hydrocodone. Three days later I was back in the emergency room for red streaks moving upward on my arm, and the inability of moving my arm. After four days, the red streak has moved into the elbow area with tenderness/swelling on the underside of the upper arm and in the elbow area. I still cannot move my arm with any ease. Hot packs are constant throughout the day.

Phlebitis - Risk Factors Question: If known, what were your risk factors for developing phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with phlebitis?
Phlebitis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medications, did you receive for your phlebitis?