Patient Comments: Pheochromocytoma - Symptoms and Signs

Question:What symptoms and signs did you experience with your pheochromocytoma?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. Over the years I've been tested several times for hyperthyroidism, a few years back I lost like 40-50 pounds in 2-3 months with no effort on my part. I was overweight so it was like a new lease on life, but within six months I gained the weight back plus more. When I get my thyroid tested they always say my levels are fine. Since then there are times when my head shakes uncontrollably, it will shake like I have parkinson's. I get anxiety when it happens and the more I try to stop it the more it goes. In recent months I notice my heart beating fast and hard at any given time. When I'm relaxing it will do it, strangely. I do get headaches occasionally now, which is not normal for me at all. Until I read these stories I was kind of dumbfounded and just thinking maybe it's just getting older or I'm being paranoid. I did have an aunt who had grave's disease, and my dad and another aunt had cancer. I know what normal feels like to some degree and I know this isn't it. I guess you do just have to find a Dr that cares though. Needle in a haystack.

Comment from: Mark, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I have been getting lightheaded for approximately three years now. I have done every test under the sun and all have returned normal. I have asked my doctor about doing a 24 hour urine test and he has refused. I have been lightheaded, nauseous, near fainting, chest pains, etc. What else do I need to have to be able to have this minor urine test done? I have been referred to Vanderbilt in December by my new Heart doctor so maybe and I will find what is going on.

Pheochromocytoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pheochromocytoma.