Patient Comments: Pheochromocytoma - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms of a pheochromocytoma?

Comment from: surviver, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

In 2004 I developed a rapid heart rate that would occur every morning about 4am. This would last for about 2 hours. Around 1pm my energy level was at rock bottom. I started developing severe HA almost daily along with a feeling of severe impending doom. I finally presented to the ER with severe abdominal pain and was found to have a BP of 196/120 with a HR of 130. CT of the ABD revealed bilateral adrenal tumors both measuring 4.8cm. 3 months later I had a left adrenalectomy and biopsy of the right which revealed no evidence of a pheochromocytoma. The instant I woke up from surgery, I felt 100% better.

Comment from: Canadian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

The symptoms that brought me to the hospital and diagnosis of a massive 996 gram Pheo where pounding heart and missive headaches. After being diagnosed and doing some research I realized that I had other symptoms but never thought they included fatigue and constipation. From the first sign of symptoms to removal of right adrenal gland and tumor was 3 months. My Pheo was removed successfully about 3 weeks after diagnosis with open surgery.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. Over the years I've been tested several times for hyperthyroidism, a few years back I lost like 40-50 pounds in 2-3 months with no effort on my part. I was overweight so it was like a new lease on life, but within six months I gained the weight back plus more. When I get my thyroid tested they always say my levels are fine. Since then there are times when my head shakes uncontrollably, it will shake like I have parkinson's. I get anxiety when it happens and the more I try to stop it the more it goes. In recent months I notice my heart beating fast and hard at any given time. When I'm relaxing it will do it, strangely. I do get headaches occasionally now, which is not normal for me at all. Until I read these stories I was kind of dumbfounded and just thinking maybe it's just getting older or I'm being paranoid. I did have an aunt who had grave's disease, and my dad and another aunt had cancer. I know what normal feels like to some degree and I know this isn't it. I guess you do just have to find a Dr that cares though. Needle in a haystack.

Pheochromocytoma - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pheochromocytoma.