Patient Comments: Phenylketonuria (PKU) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with phenylketonuria (PKU) in you or your child?

Comment from: kal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I'm 37 and have always had problems with PKU. It has never really been controlled, and when I was a child my parents never had it under control either. I have two disabled children. Also, I have lots of mental health problems. When my protein levels are high, I find day-to-day tasks very hard. I was physically and emotionally abused as a child by my parents and bullied by other children because of my PKU. My life is so hard now because of that. My advice to other PKU sufferers is stay with the diet and supplements.

Phenylketonuria - Diet Question: What dietary changes have you made because you have phenylketonuria?