GENERIC NAME: phentermine and topiramate extended-release
BRAND NAME: Qsymia
GENERIC AVAILABLE: No
- Qsymia is an oral weight loss medicine that may help some obese adults (body mass index [BMI] = 30 km/m2) or some overweight adults (BMI = 27 km/m2) with weight-related medical problems such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, or dyslipidemia lose weight and keep the weight off. To achieve maximum weight loss, Qsymia should be used with a reduced calorie diet and increased physical activity.
- The safety and effectiveness of Qsymia with other prescription, over-the-counter (OTC), or herbal weight loss medications has not been established. Therefore, use of Qsymia with such agents is not recommended.
- The safety and effectiveness of Qsymia has not been established in pediatric patients. Therefore, use of Qsymia in pediatrics is not recommended.
SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects of Qsymia are:
- Paraesthesia (sensations of pricking, burning, tingling, or numbness of the skin)
- Blurred vision
- Urinary tract infections
- Back pain
- Taste disturbances
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping
- Dry mouth
Rare, but serious side effects associated with Qsymia therapy include mood changes, trouble sleeping, problems with concentration or memory, speech difficulties, an increase in acid levels in the blood, low blood sugar especially in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus who are also taking medicines to treat their blood sugar, seizures, kidney stones, decreased sweating, and fever.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.