- Habits That Can Help You Lose Weight Slideshow
- Lose Weight Without Dieting Slideshow
- Surprising Sources of Hidden Sugar Slideshow
- What is phentermine?
- What brand names are available for phentermine?
- Is phentermine available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for phentermine?
- Why is phentermine prescribed to patients?
- What are the side effects of phentermine?
- What is the dosage for phentermine?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with phentermine?
- Is phentermine safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about phentermine?
Is phentermine safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- Use of phentermine during pregnancy has not been adequately evaluated.
- It is not known whether phentermine is excreted in human breast milk. Since other amphetamines are excreted in breast milk, phentermine should not be used while breastfeeding or, if used, nursing should be discontinued.
What else should I know about phentermine?
What preparations of phentermine are available?
- Tablets: 8 and 37.5 mg.
- Capsules: 15, 30, 37.5 mg.
How should I keep phentermine stored?
Phentermine should be stored in a tight container at room temperature, 20 C to 25 C (68 F to 77 F).
How does phentermine work?
- The exact mechanism of action of phentermine is unknown. It probably decreases appetite by acting on centers in the brain that control appetite. Phentermine is similar to amphetamine. It stimulates the nervous system, elevates blood pressure, and increases heart rate.
Reference: FDA Prescribing Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.