- Take the UTI Quiz
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Slideshow Pictures
- Urinary Incontinence in Women Slideshow Pictures
- What is phenazopyridine-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for phenazopyridine-oral?
- Is phenazopyridine-oral available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for phenazopyridine-oral?
- What are the uses for phenazopyridine-oral?
- What are the side effects of phenazopyridine-oral?
- What is the dosage for phenazopyridine-oral?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with phenazopyridine-oral?
- Is phenazopyridine-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about phenazopyridine-oral?
What is phenazopyridine-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Phenazopyridine is an oral urinary analgesic (pain relieving medication). It is available over-the-counter (without a prescription or OTC) in lower strengths, and with a prescription for higher strengths. It is used commonly to treat symptoms of pain, burning, urgency, frequency, and other symptoms associated with lower urinary tract infections (UTIs).
Although the exact mechanism of action is unknown, phenazopyridine is thought to provide relief of symptoms of UTIs by acting as a local anesthetic on the lining of the urinary tract. Phenazopyridine is excreted in the urine and may cause urine to change to an orange or red color. Phenazopyridine does not have any antibacterial action and should not be used to treat UTIs. It is only used to provide relief of symptoms associated with UTIs.
What brand names are available for phenazopyridine-oral?
Baridium, Pyridium, Urinary Pain Relief
Is phenazopyridine-oral available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for phenazopyridine-oral?
Yes, and in OTC preparations
What are the uses for phenazopyridine-oral?
Phenazopyridine is used to provide relief of symptoms associated with lower urinary tract infections including urinary burning, pain, urgency, and frequency among others.
What are the side effects of phenazopyridine-oral?
Common side effects of phenazopyridine treatment affecting up to 10 percent of patients are:
Rare but serious side effects associated with phenazopyridine (occurring in <1%) include:
Quick GuideBladder Infections: UTI Causes, Symptoms, Treatments
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.