- Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures
- Pink Eye Slideshow Pictures
- Eyes and Eye Conditions Quiz
- Find a local Eye Doctor in your town
Quick GuideLaser Eye Surgery Pictures Slideshow: Better Vision Through Surgery (LASIK, PRK, LASEK & More)
Questions for Your Doctor
Use the following checklist to help you guide your discussion with your doctor about phakic lenses.
Know what makes you a poor candidate
- Do I have any conditions that would increase my risks?
- Are the size of my pupils under low lighting conditions bigger than the size of the lens? If so, what are my additional risks?
- Is my anterior chamber shallow? If so, what are my additional risks?
Know all the benefits, risks, and alternatives
- What are the benefits of the phakic lens for my amount of nearsightedness?
- What are the risks of having the phakic lens implanted?
- What is my risk of needing a corneal transplant in the future, if I have the phakic lens implanted, based on my age and my endothelial cell count?
- What could happen if I get hit in the eye or head after phakic lens implantation that might be different from what could happen if I did not have the lens implanted? Are my chances greater for a more severe injury after phakic lens implantation?
- Can the phakic lens be removed? What are the risks of removing the phakic lens?
- What other options are available for correcting my nearsightedness?
Know preoperative, operative, and postoperative expectations
- Will I need to limit my activities after treatment? If so, for how long?
- What quality of vision can I expect in the first week, first few months, and a year after surgery?
- What is the possibility that the phakic lens will not completely correct my vision or that my prescription might be worse than before surgery? What options for additional treatment will be available to me, if needed?
- How likely is it that I will need to wear glasses or contact lenses immediately after surgery and as I grow older?
- Should I have the phakic lens implanted in both eyes?
- What vision problems might I experience if I have the phakic lens implanted in only one eye?
- How long will I have to wait before having surgery on my other eye?
Know what the costs are
- How much will the surgery and follow-up cost? Will my health insurance cover this surgery?
- Will there be additional costs if I need additional procedures because the phakic lens implanted in my eye is too strong or too weak or because I have astigmatism? What is the likelihood of this happening?