Patient Comments: Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Experience

Please describe your experience with whooping cough (pertussis).

Comment from: Peggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Although I haven't officially been diagnosed with whooping cough (WC), I know that's what it is. I've been sick since the end of January 2016. Initially I went to the general physician (GP) thinking I had a sinus infection and he prescribed a 10 day course of antibiotics. In retrospect I'm glad for the antibiotics since I wasn't contagious. I then developed this horrible cough where I would cough so violently I would sometimes throw up. I've been sleeping in a recliner for almost three months and I still wake up coughing. I'm exhausted and can barely make it to work where I sit at my desk and never get up, not even for lunch. I often lay my head down on my desk and sleep. My GP gave me another antibiotic, steroids, cough syrup with codeine, various inhalers, Tessalon Perles, and a nebulizer. Nothing has helped and I'm at my wit's end. I've also been to a pulmonologist and cardiologist. When I went back to the pulmonologist her husband who is the breathing technician told me that he, his wife and their grandchild had WC so I know it is around. I wonder why my doctor didn't think of this. He also sent me for a chest x-ray and his office called and told me it was clear. That's the last I heard from them. No follow up. After a bad fit last week I started googling and came across this and realized that's what I have. I don't know why doctors and medical centers aren't warning us about this. I would much rather have the flu any day over this yet all you hear about is to make sure you get your flu shot!

Comment from: Buncha, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I suffered with cough syncope due to pertussis, or whooping cough as we all know it. Unfortunately, I lost my license due to two fainting episodes. To help you all, make sure you request a blood test to diagnose whooping cough, in my case it took two attempts and two doctors. However, by being treated early with azithromycin, it eliminated my cough and in turn the syncopal episodes. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Capergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

The first week of December I was treated for upper respiratory infection. By Christmas Eve, I felt like I was suffocating. I coughed for hours at a time. I couldn't eat, drink or breathe. The day after Christmas I went to the emergency room (ER). I wrote a note, I had no voice and constant coughing. The ER nurses told me I only felt as though I was choking to death but I really wasn't. So they left me to sit in the waiting room for four hours. I was going to leave but I was afraid I would die at home because I couldn't breathe. Nine hours later, I had a prescription for seven antibiotics, no cough medicine. Diagnosis, cough. Really? By now I'm certain I have broken two ribs and something has ripped apart in my abdomen. The hospital did not notify my doctor. They did not notify me! I called daily, for 5 days. All I was told was, your test was positive for whooping cough, pertussis, you'll feel better. No warning of the danger I pose to everyone around me, no treatment for family members, and no go see your doctor. Well, I'm not better. But five rounds of antibiotics have not helped much. I'm exhausted, sore and can barely talk. I am waiting to see my doctor to see what he says. My advice, if you had any testing done, you follow up, call daily for results, seek treatment for family members and let others know you are sick. And stay home. Please.

Comment from: heidi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am 50 and have just been diagnosed with whooping cough, I have had a cough for about 3 weeks with it peaking this weekend. I do have spasms of coughing, with a whoop noise, my eyes water and at the end of each episode I gag like I am going to vomit. I feel very under the weather and am hot and cold, have no energy and now have chest pain also.

Comment from: Katy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 11

My 5 kids contracted whooping cough earlier this year, and as soon as I suspected it, I quarantined my family (we did eventually have it officially diagnosed as pertussis), and I started everyone on high doses of sodium ascorbate vitamin C powder. We were giving 10 to 15 grams per child, to bowel tolerance, then we backed off a bit. This didn't cure the pertussis, but it did change the cough, and the change was profound. It became more like the cough one has with a cold. Once we started the protocol, there were no more red in the face spells, no more choking on mucus, no more apneic episodes. We ran out of the vitamin C midway through and those nights were awful. Once the sodium ascorbate was back in my hands, things improved dramatically again. The entire length of the disease was about 10 weeks.

Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with whooping cough?
Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Vaccine Question: Did your child receive the whooping cough (pertussis) vaccine? If not, why? If yes, were there any side effects?
Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for your child's whooping cough (pertussis)?