Patient Comments: Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Experience

Please describe your experience with whooping cough (pertussis).

Comment from: chronscarier, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

im 15 years old and im currently going through whooping cough. i was recently told i had chrons. i think i got whooping cough from the ER. i came home a week latter but didn't start to cough until my second day home.at frist it was the cough i just pushed it off as the cold. but then it started to get worse and felt like i had been punched in the ribs and left with bruises. it very painful when it pops up. it gets worst as the sun goes down. and now i fear that i have gave it to other, because i attend a public school.it hurt but i know to hang tough. and hope for the best.

Comment from: curious, 55-64 Female Published: October 05

I had whooping cough when I was 9years old,and I remember that my urine color was milky white. I've been searching and could not find any relation to the color of urine and whooping cough.

Comment from: flowershug, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 13 years old and currently have pertussis (whooping cough). I am pretty sure that I am in the first stage, but it's still really bad. The sneezing never stops, and the back of my throat is really raw from coughing so much. I just went to the doctor today and got antibiotics, and they seem to help a little bit. It kind of feels like a sinus infection.

Comment from: Ray A, 55-64 Male Published: April 27

I can remember my parents telling me that when I was a baby in the early 50s I nearly died from whooping cough. It must have been winter because they said they had to keep the kitchen fire going for weeks and the room was kept at a constant temperature.

Comment from: Janette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am now in week 2 of whooping cough. It took three visits to the doctors in 5 days to be diagnosed. The cough and "whoop" is absolutely terrifying when you can't get that air into your lungs you panic which only makes it worse. My back hurts, my throat hurts, my stomach muscles hurt from the coughing. I have only just started on the antibiotics and steroids today, so hoping this will make some difference. None of my family have caught it.

Comment from: Pete, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

My experience with whooping cough was quite frighteneing. After thinking I had a cold for 2 weeks I began to cough at work and awoke to several scared people standing over me. Over the next 3-4 weeks even a small cough would result in my passing out. I banged my face on the floor several times and had black eyes and scrapes all over my face. It took about 6-7 weeks total to recover. I never could get a doctor to diagnose pertussis because I didn't have a "whoop". I had my immunization updated during this time.

Comment from: MaMa V, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 07

My 3 year old has the 1st stage of pertussis. Sometimes it's hard to see her like that. In the nights is when it hits her badly. Once she fall a sleep. It will start. I'm up with her all night. I don't know what to do. I took her to the doctor he gave me antibiotics and even the inhaler. Nothing worked with her. I'm just frustrated to see her like this. It's getting bad.

Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with whooping cough?
Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Vaccine Question: Did your child receive the whooping cough (pertussis) vaccine? If not, why? If yes, were there any side effects?
Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for your child's whooping cough (pertussis)?