Patient Comments: Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Experience

Please describe your experience with whooping cough (pertussis).

Comment from: Peppa71, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

I am a mother of a newborn baby who suffered with pertussis when she was a week old. It was horrible to watch my little one suffer like that, coughing until she turned blue in color due to the disease constricting her oxygen intake. It's like when you tie a rubber band around your finger, and no oxygen goes through and the finger turns blue; well, imagine this feeling taking over your whole body. We were both admitted in hospital and stayed for 3 weeks until she was discharged with some potent medications. When you see these symptoms, rush to get medical help.

Comment from: hyang, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My tonsils were swollen about a month ago, went to the Centra Care and they give me a magic gargle, some antibiotics and prednisone. These things did not help at all. A week later I develop this persistent coughing so I went to my regular doctor. He give me another round of antibiotics and prednisone; still did not work. Two weeks later my coughing is getting worse and I took some over the counter mucus medicine which did not work. I went back to my doctor and he told me my lungs are clear and told me it is allergy. He gave me another brand of antibiotics and another round of prednisone and this time he prescribed a nose spray. I am almost done with the antibiotics and here I am still coughing like crazy. It is embarrassing at work. I am getting worried now if I have pertussis.

Comment from: Marsha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had the whooping cough as a baby. I just turned 6 months old and I had it severe, where I couldn"t breathe and I was already turning blue, so my mama and daddy took me to the emergency room that night. I may not have known, but my family told me about it. If it wasn"t for them taking me, I wouldn"t be here today.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: October 05

I am 57 and I caught whooping cough 8 weeks ago. I'm certain I caught it from a family member who insisted that everyone in her family had "gotten over" their recent bout of whooping cough. I can't begin to tell you how hard it is to convince family members that a glass of orange juice or a little more rest just isn't going to help much. My neck is so sore and I'm exhausted all the time from the coughing. At night it's horrible. I took antibiotics but they did nothing to help. I've now developed asthma; just going up a flight of stairs and I can't breath. I live all day and all night on a combination of Ibuprofen for the muscle aches due to the coughing, Primatene Mist to be able to breath through my lungs and Afrin nose spray to help stop the drainage which escalates the coughing. I'm wondering if I will ever be normal again. I've stopped going places and I have no appetite at all.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

My daughter who is 15 and myself have been experiencing all of the classic symtoms of whooping cough. My daughter is in her 6th week with it. I am only in my 3rd. She has been to the doctor twice and put on an antibotic. Unfortunatley it was not one that was effective for the whooping cough. We have both had severe bouts of coughing and not being able to catch our breath. There has also been vomiting. I have told my doctor that I truely believe that we have whooping cough but they say that it is too rare and it is probably not possible. It makes me feel dumb for asking to be tested. It is supposed to be reported to the health department and if I can keep one person from getting it, then I will feel like I have done a little something to help.

Comment from: stevens mummy, 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

My 6 week old son is in intensive care at the moment with whooping cough. I went to the doctors in the beginning with my son having a persistent cough and mucus coming up I was told it was a cold, 2 days later my son became worse and started going blue so I took him to hospital to get some answers yet again I was fobbed off with its a cold but he does have a lot of mucus on his chest but with it was clear it is not an infection. My son's condition worsened so I yet again went to the doctors where my son had a bad coughing fit, so I was finally referred to hospital for treatment but on the way my son totally stopped breathing and turned blue. When we got to hospital the consultant told me we had gone just in time as my sons lungs were that heavy due to all the mucus he couldn't breath for himself, my son had 2 respiratory arrests while at hospital so was transferred to another hospital to intensive care were he is currently under going treatment for whooping cough. I was so scared I was going to loose him and I feel if the doctors had listened to me at the start I wouldn't be sitting here now waiting for my son to recover and come off his ventilator.

Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with whooping cough?
Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Vaccine Question: Did your child receive the whooping cough (pertussis)? If not, why? If yes, were there any side effects?
Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for your child's whooping cough (pertussis)?