Patient Comments: Pernicious Anemia - Treatments

What was the effective treatment for you pernicious anemia?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

B-12 injections. I am African American female correctly diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia atage 23. At 14 years, Army physicians (military dependant) thought I had Iron deficiency and Rx iron supplements and eating liver. Crisis at 23, So. California Hematologist diagnosed me with PA after a 2 week hospital stay. Because of my age and visual ethnicity physicians did not think PA deficiency. Being 8th generation American, physicians did not take into consideration any European ancestry. Monthly B-12 injections have helped for over 30 years. During pregnancy and 1st year of Motherhood-additional B-12 injections were given. Occasionally, injection does not work. After entire battery of tests, another injection was administered and it worked. This happens, but rarely. During routine colonoscopy, I was informed individuals with PA have a 4 fold increase in the possibility of stomach cancer. An endoscopy preformed at the same time as colonoscopy, showed 5 stomach polyps. A biopsy of polyps proved malignant. I have had two additional endoscopies removing more polyps. GI physician says I can probably expect to have more endoscopies in the future. I have always been a-symptomatic-occasionally some parenthesia.

Comment from: Darianakasha, Female (Patient) Published: August 19

At 14 years old i suffered constant belly cramps until the point that i couldn't walk. I was put on the pill (didn't help) eventually they either faded or I got used to them. Then a few months before my 16th birthday it all began again. The stomach cramping returned. I often found it difficult to breathe, I bruised from the smallest things like from sitting with my legs crossed (bear in mind, I'm a 5ft 45 kg female) and was getting sicker and sicker each and every week, a few weeks after turning 16 and after more blood tests then any person should have to go through in their life. I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia. Now this was unusual because I eat copious amount of everything containing b12. I have now just started b12 injections today (19/08/2013) my first injection was not good. My arm still hurts 4 hours later and I am struggling to use it.

Comment from: AbbyWillMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I'm 39 years old and recently began B-12 shots. I noticed during my pregnancy with my daughter 2 years ago that my balance and coordination was off, not unusual for pregnancy so I ignored it. When I got pregnant with my son a year later my symptoms worstened to the point where I had to pull myself up a flight of stairs and was extremely tired. Shortly after my son was born I couldn't take it anymore and went to see my doctor. My mother had been diagnosed with pernicious anemia in the late stages of her cancer but it was believed to be because of the disease. My B-12 levels were extremely low and I was started on the shots once a week for a month then once a month from then on. It's been three months and I've had very little relief from a lot of the symptoms. I'm exhausted all of the time, light headed, and have extreme loss of balance and coordination. I'm hoping this all subsides over time.

Comment from: pat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia at 28, I was very sick severe back pain and lost the ability to walk. I was numbed up to my neck and could barely walk. Got an enlarge spleen, a tumor in my gall bladder, a kidney infection and then people were thinking that I had leukemia. Blood work showed I had pernicious anemia.

Comment from: colorado_blondie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was lacking in administering my shots for pernicious anemia these past few months, every week. Consequently, my levels fell extremely low. It is a life-time diagnosis. In the past I could get away with not being regimental, as I am older, my resiliency isn't there and I don't bounce back like I once did. These last 2 weeks, it's been a rough ride, but we'll get there :)

Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of pernicious anemia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience Question: What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.
Pernicious Anemia - Causes Question: Was there an underlying condition that caused your pernicious anemia?