Patient Comments: Pernicious Anemia - Treatments

What was the effective treatment for you pernicious anemia?

Comment from: nibby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have pernicious anemia and had it for approximately 20 years. Been taking B-12 injections for this long. About 7 years ago my doctor took a blood test for pernicious anemia. I was told I had no indication of anemia. So I quit the injections. After a month I was so week I could hardly walk. So I went back on B-12. I was fine all these years. Today I tried to get the b-12 injection and was told no company makes it anymore. I tried to take a B-12 supplement--which I tried the month I was off the shot. It doesn't work.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia about five years ago. My symptoms were tingling of feet and hands, dizziness, and weight loss. After taking B-12 injections, I feel much better, thanks to my doctor.

Comment from: SleepyPA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a 26 year old woman, recently diagnosed with pernicious anemia. My symptoms included extreme fatigue, insomnia, sleepiness during the day, anxiety, itchy skin and a creepy crawly sensation under my skin. I received a b-12 shot and the skin symptoms and insomnia cleared quickly but the fatigue and sleepiness are still interfering with my daily routine. My doctor prescribed me a B-12 shot every month but I believe I may need another shot sooner than that.

Comment from: chevy6129, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

B-12 injections once a month into the musscle tissue helps greatly.

Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of pernicious anemia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience Question: What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.
Pernicious Anemia - Causes Question: Was there an underlying condition that caused your pernicious anemia?