Patient Comments: Pernicious Anemia - Causes

Was there an underlying condition that caused your pernicious anemia?

Comment from: soccermaniac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I got my pernicious anemia from not eating enough animal protein. This causes you not to absorb your B12, you lose your intrinsic factor. I have to eat liver for the rest of my life, maybe two or three times a week. I didn"t eat liver for a while and I got a very bad stomach. Also I am gluten and lactose intolerant.

Comment from: zoie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I wonder if it is possible to have pernicious anemia if you have been bulimic or anorexic. I think this condition could be made worse or masked by having one of the previous conditions mentioned. I had many of the PA symptoms before anorexia or bulimia but many more of the symptoms appeared when very ill with the anorexia.

Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of pernicious anemia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Pernicious Anemia - Treatments Question: What was the effective treatment for you pernicious anemia?
Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience Question: What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.