Patient Comments: Pernicious Anemia - Causes

Was there an underlying condition that caused your pernicious anemia?

Comment from: Happy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I contracted Shigella sonnei whilst in Egypt and as a result contracted pernicious anemia. I have B12 shots every 4 weeks.

Comment from: soccermaniac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I got my pernicious anemia from not eating enough animal protein. This causes you not to absorb your B12, you lose your intrinsic factor. I have to eat liver for the rest of my life, maybe two or three times a week. I didn"t eat liver for a while and I got a very bad stomach. Also I am gluten and lactose intolerant.

Comment from: zoie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I wonder if it is possible to have pernicious anemia if you have been bulimic or anorexic. I think this condition could be made worse or masked by having one of the previous conditions mentioned. I had many of the PA symptoms before anorexia or bulimia but many more of the symptoms appeared when very ill with the anorexia.

Comment from: drifter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia a few years ago and still get B12 injections every 12 weeks. Now I am extremely tired and have only had injection 4 weeks ago. I don't think I can last for another 8 weeks.

Comment from: Ohio Pernicious, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia (PA) eight years ago. The doctor prescribed monthly intramuscular B12. I couldn't last longer than 2 weeks. I now self-inject every 10 to 14 days. When you have PA, you know the feeling. Giving myself a shot was unthinkable for me, yet after I finally did it, I now feel in control of the PA and can get ahead of the fatigue before it creeps up. Plus, no doctor or other appointment needed. The needles are 1 inch and I don't feel a thing.

Comment from: anne harkness, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I had gotten so tired and fatigued that I could hardly get dressed or do any of my house work, and I had left my job. My legs were burning and tingling, it felt like water was running through my body. I was diagnosed with stress. Then a lady doctor picked up on pernicious anemia. My blood tests were done and my level was 172. I was started on the six injections on alternative days then one every 3 months but I haven't been able to last 3 months, only 2 months. The injections have made a difference but I still have this feeling that there is something tingling and running through my body.

Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of pernicious anemia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Pernicious Anemia - Treatments Question: What was the effective treatment for you pernicious anemia?
Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience Question: What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.