Patient Comments: Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms

The symptoms of pernicious anemia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: June 09

I was generally feeling very tired but put in down to work. I went to give blood and it was noticed that my iron level was low when I had the blood test before you donate. This was treated with ferrous sulphate. Then low level of vitamin B12 was noticed in further blood tests. I was given vitamin B12 tablets but this did not work as it was my inability to absorb it through the gut which lead to me needing to have injections. I have these every 10 weeks as feels very tired if it's done every 3 months which tends to be the time recommended.

Comment from: David Sydney Dallime, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I have chronic systemic inflammatory disease evidenced by Graves Disease, Crones Disease, Chronic Bronchitis and Asthma. Do to tiredness, numbing of extremities and bloating my Doctor did a CBC which indicated anemia. Now in the care of a Hematologist I am receiving weekly vitamin B injections and taking B1-6-12 pills plus Foliamin pills.

Published: July 16

In January, I noticed increased fatigue, numbness and tingling. My doctor diagnosed pernicious anemia in late May and prescribed B12 injections one time a month. It makes me feel good for about five days, then I start to decline again.

Pernicious Anemia - Treatments Question: What was the effective treatment for you pernicious anemia?
Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience Question: What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.
Pernicious Anemia - Causes Question: Was there an underlying condition that caused your pernicious anemia?