Patient Comments: Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms

The symptoms of pernicious anemia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 14

I have no symptoms whatsoever. I am hardly ever tired and do not have memory loss. After my yearly blood test my doctor said my B-12 was low and suggested I take 2000mcg a day. When I return for another blood in three months, if it has not improved, I will need to take the shots. I remember my Dad having to take B-12 shots when he was older...in his 90's. I am only 69 and was surprised when the doctor told me this. After reading up on this condition, I do see that it can run in families.

Published: July 14

My first symptoms of this disease were extreme fatigue, weakness and muscle pain.

Published: June 27

At the onset of my pernicious anemia, my symptoms included severe exhaustion, pale (almost whitish in color) conjunctiva, tingling in my lower extremities (especially in my feet when I woke up), memory loss and always word searching for what I was trying to convey into words. I felt as if I was getting worse by the day.

Published: June 19

I have pernicious anemia now since l991. I have been taking injections every 3 weeks, but now am told by Doctor that I could take the pill form if desired. At first I could not as this was not absorbed. Now she says I can. I am prescribed a 500 dosage. When I bought pills, it was 1200 time elapsed pills. I took for 3 weeks before next injection. This gave me more energy. Now Dr. says 500= has not heard of new 1200 time lapsed pills

Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia when I was 27 after my first child. I was off the wall tired. My doctor put it down to having a baby, hubby never home.... get more rest and have a sense of humor. My period disappeared completely, my joints and muscles ached, and I was moody and feeling unable to cope or think well. I had been complaining for a year or so every three months to my doctor that there was something wrong with me, that I was not sick, but something was just not right. I am a very active and driven person. He ran a 24-hour urine test, and they confirmed what I had. I have been having injections ever since. Once monthly is necessary. I am healthy and happy and energetic and living a normal life. I now give myself my injections and go to doctors for a 6-month check-up.

Published: June 13

I started feeling very fatigued, like off the chart tired. 12 hours sleep was not enough to refresh me. I also started having what I called "senior moments", I would lose my keys 3 times between the bedroom and the front door, I would forget the oven was on or that I was even cooking something. My right foot started getting numb, still is in fact. About 1 week after I had one shot of B12, I noticed mental clarity improvements and some relief from the fatigue, no improvements to the numbness in my right foot, but after 3 weeks I was back to the fatigue and senior moments I had in the beginning.... I had a second shot 3 weeks after the first one but I still have not reclaimed my energy level. Oddly enough when this started my red blood cell count was high, but my B12 was at 82. My cholesterol is also up. The doctor has not ordered further testing to see if there is any improvement, I don't feel like this is much of an improvement at this point.

Published: June 13

I suffered from iron deficiency originally, then I had a split mouth, sore tongue and my hair started to go grey and I was only 30. Went to the Doctors who sent me staright for blood tests and came back that I had pernicious anemia, I had heard of it so from then on I had B12 injections and that was 28 years ago. Since them my mother was diagnosed with it. I also have an underactive thyroid which was diagnosed 8 years ago.

Published: June 12

Initially I was extremely tired with tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. My physician linked the numbness and tingling to my spinal chord injury and the fatigue to a bleeding disorder I had at the time. I went to the ER for dizziness and fainting. That is when they ran tests and found that I had b12 deficiency. Initially I was taking the pill everyday but my b12 levels were not getting any better. They switched me to the monthly injections. I have been giving myself the injections for 4 years now. I can tell when it is time to take my next dose because my symptoms increase.

Pernicious Anemia - Treatments Question: What was the effective treatment for you pernicious anemia?
Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience Question: What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.
Pernicious Anemia - Causes Question: Was there an underlying condition that caused your pernicious anemia?