Patient Comments: Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms

The symptoms of pernicious anemia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: christopher, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a male, 69 years old, and was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in 2010. I could hardly do anything that needed effort due to my breathing. I had numerous things going wrong, e.g., dizziness, slurred speech, tingling fingers, and a very sore tongue. Everything was COPD I was told. It wasn't till I went to Greece in 2013, I collapsed and rushed to hospital where I required 5 units of blood, I was told I had severe pernicious anemia and had been severely neglected for about 3 years. I had very little B12 in my body and my hemoglobin level was 4.4 - severely dangerous. Now I am home and being treated properly my COPD has magically gone. I get short of breath sometimes but I know now its caused by pernicious anemia.

Comment from: jon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I was having difficulty making decisions and was somewhat confused because of pernicious anemia.

Published: August 07

I started having severe abdominal cramping two nights ago and which was preceded by constipation for two days. When I woke up the following more of the beginning of the cramping I felt OK, but then by the afternoon I ate lunch and started having severe diarrhea. Now the cramping has been going on for two days and I can't keep anything in my stomach. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past along with anemia, but with my IBS I don't normally have the cramping.

Comment from: MightyWeak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I am 44 years old and have just been diagnosed with pernicious anemia. My B12 level was at the bottom of the barrel on the chart on my blood test. My symptoms began vaguely but then quickly got worse as time went on. I am extremely fatigued and my muscles hurt. I have heart palpitations and shortness of breath easily. Mental confusion is a huge symptom for me. I have begun taking B12 injections one time per week. I'm on my third day with it, and I am beginning to see a slight improvement. Thank goodness!

Published: August 25

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia about five years ago. I was frequently treated for an iron deficiency before I was diagnosed. My symptoms started several years before my diagnosis. I had severe memory loss by age 26. I had tingling in my hands and feet. I had loss of pigmentation, confusion, tiredness, and personality changes. I had frequent visits to my physician and neurologists with no success. Eventually, a rookie doctor checked my B12 levels and found them to be extremely low. So, I was started on B12 shots immediately. It took a while for most symptoms to decrease. I still have memory loss with significant bouts of confusion. The tingling in my hands and feet has subsided. I've lost interest in eating meat, including fish. I am now a vegetarian.

Published: June 24

I have just been diagnosed with pernicious anemia. The reason I saw a neurologist was due to a complaint of a "constant large burp" in my back. The neurologist took certain blood tests following my comments of "I feel like I am sliding." I did not feel dizzy. I had slight tingling of my left hand and foot and was often dropping things. These symptoms I attributed to using the left side more than the right while recovering from right shoulder surgery. I did note feeling tired, even though I had a good night sleep and often fell asleep while reading a book. I also noted a slight change in diet preference - my appetite for beef disappeared as did my desire for certain fishes. My continual desire for fruits and vegetables did not change and I often felt better (for a bit) after eating a salad.

Comment from: lasga, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

my b12 is 114 and i am allergic to cobalt. The drs don't know what to do. I am extremely tired and discouraged . This used to be a fatal disease until the b12 supplement was developed. With a b12 level of 114, there is not much left. It has dropped from 180 in a year.Is anyone else allergic to Cobalt????? This is what is used to make the B12 supplement.I am desperate and NEED HELP!

Pernicious Anemia - Treatments Question: What was the effective treatment for you pernicious anemia?
Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience Question: What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.
Pernicious Anemia - Causes Question: Was there an underlying condition that caused your pernicious anemia?