Patient Comments: Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience

What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.

Comment from: coosaw, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 23

This is the result of stomach reduction surgery. She can't walk, even falls with walker. Can't even turn over, in intense pain. Is there any hope? She is getting B-12 by nose spray and on pain meds that don't stop the leg and back pain.

Comment from: Debs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

About six years ago a was having problems getting pregnant. my doctor done some blood test and after a week he told me a had pernicious anemia. A had injection every week then every mouth then three months. then became pregnant and now a have two wee boys A have had these injection now for five years and a always no when a need them .a get tired and my finger get numb and sometimes tingly the pain around my hips and down my legs can get really bad after five years thinking that a was doing ok and just found out a have Graves' disease. Have been told it been brought on by stress as my mum is very ill.

Comment from: Living with PA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I was told I had pernicious anemia 10 years ago after a miscarriage. I needed B12 injections. After a couple of injections I had severe acne, so I stopped the injections. I was never told I had to have them for life or that I had PA. After five years I had severe fatigue, aching hips and muscles, memory loss and difficulty finding words to tell a story, lightheadedness, and felt off balance. A new doctor diagnosed me with PA after I gave blood and did not recover. I have had regular injections for more than a year now. I still get a few pimples now and then (I never had pimples as a teenager). I know when I am due for a shot because my fatigue returns and I often need a nap.

Pernicious Anemia - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of pernicious anemia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Pernicious Anemia - Treatments Question: What was the effective treatment for you pernicious anemia?
Pernicious Anemia - Causes Question: Was there an underlying condition that caused your pernicious anemia?