Patient Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: dsmith, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I have been diagnosed with peripheral vascular disease. This disease has ruined my life and has caused my family much grief. I will likely lose my leg from this, if not my life, and want to tell everyone that if you are ever diagnosed with this disease, please do not wait and go to the doctor right away. I am only 24, and it has ruined my dreams and my wishes for a bright future. I hope and pray that this is not passed to my children. I do not wish this disease upon any human. I have been through seven surgeries in the past year. My experience with this has been hard and truly unbelievable. I never thought this would happen to me, but now I hope I can stop it from happening to anyone else.

Comment from: MalloCup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am a 56 yea old woman. I have had 18 angioplasties, and 1 bypass on my legs. I've always had pain in my calves, when I knew my arteries were plugged. Four months ago I developed an ulcer on my middle toe on my left leg. Both legs are plugged up. When I had my last angioplasty, 3 doctors told me they won't touch me anymore, as I have nothing to attach anything to anymore. My podiatrist sent me to another doctor in Sarasota, and he said he can help me. On July 6,2011, I had an angiogram on both legs. On July 18th, I will find out my options. Please pray for me.

Comment from: scleroderma patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I never had claudication in the calves. I had severe foot pain in bed, and pain in one buttock when walking. I had 2 bypasses and three angioplasties but ended up with an amputation. I have scleroderma which affected the lining of the vessels. My diagnosis was PVD exacerbated by scleroderma.

Comment from: JoanieL., 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

My husband was first diagnosed with this disease about 11 years ago. He is a non-stop smoker. He has had a below knee amputation. His other leg has been stinted and by-passed so many times. He had a deep ulcer this year and the surgeon made an incision from his groin to his ankle in order to by-pass blockages. He's now on Coumadin and we hope he will have a better quality of life.

Comment from: PaPa, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have right corroded artery 90% blocked. It's taken weeks to months to get through the testing. Schedule a test for the next week then schedule the Doc appointment for the next week etc. Meanwhile I am worried stiff can't sleep, hard to function. Looks like I'll need surgery.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Thank you so much for all this information. I am 45 years old and have had pain and numbness in my legs and arms for about 2 years and the doctors don't seem to be finding the problem, but I think I just did. I had a PAD test done and am awaiting the results. They did tell me the number in my left leg was 70 and the number in my right leg was 80 but I don't know what that means yet. I spent the day yesterday in the ER with chest pains but they said my heart looked fine. I am so confused and scared! I have no insurance and do not know how much I can do without it. It seems that as soon as the doctor finds out that there isn't insurance they quit trying to find the answer.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I have PAD and had a bypass back in 1998. In 2006 I was told my left leg was 75% clogged again and my right 25%. I had the surgery on my right leg. I had the old procedure where I was cut open, used another vessel in my leg and had 44 staples to close me up. I don't know any other way to explain this. Now I'm experiencing back, hips and leg pain so bad I have to sit down. If I do too much at once my entire body gets tired. This week, for the first time, that I know of, my legs, mainly right were swollen from my foot to my calf. That had lasted for about three days. But last night I had, what I call, two Charlie horses in a row. They were so painful and I never get Charlie horses. When I got up this morning the swelling was gone. I have a seasonal job so I'm laid off for five months out of the years. We've had lots of snow so I've been sedentary a lot this winter. The pain I had last night was unbearable. I feel a slight pressure in my right calf today, but it doesn't hurt. I believe I need surgery again but have no insurance to do so. Plus I smoke and have a hard time quitting.

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Symptoms Question: What are your symptoms associated with peripheral vascular disease?
Peripheral Vascular Disease - Treatments Question: What forms of treatment, including lifestyle changes, have you tried for peripheral vascular disease?