Patient Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 26

I am not sure where to begin my husband has 3 clogged arteries in his heart. Chest pain jaw neck arm heartburn it was all on his right side. Since his tests all these symptoms are still there but worse now it is on his left side but swaps back and forth to each side he has bad chest pain his jaw and face hurts and it went numb. His hand is cold inside, but warm outside his back hurts and his stomach hurts. Now his leg hurts from the front of his knee to his foot he is a diabetic has high blood pressure and high alcohol can you please tell me what you think.

Comment from: buergers sufferer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have buergers disease. It started when I was 25. Smoking marijuana caused it. I don't and never have smoked tobacco. I have lost both legs and 4 fingers due to this. Doctors were reluctant to blame pot but now have discovered that marijuana has caused a new version of this disease.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

Recently, I have been experiencing numbness in my lower right toes and foot area. I also have it in both hands. These symptoms have been present is the morning when I awaken from sleep. Can you tell me what should I do about this condition? I have been walking in the afternoon when I get home from work, but sometimes find it difficult to do because it causes so much pain I give up. Sometimes the pain in my legs, upper and lower is so great it keeps me from sleeping. What are my options?

Comment from: mukilteogal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I started feeling the symptoms of this disease when I was approximately 40 years old. I put off going to the doctor until walking became almost something I could no longer do. 20 years later I have had numerous by-pass grafts and one amputation. My life has been altered and it is something I would not bless on my worst enemy. If you don't smoke, don't start. If you do, stop. Make sure you are tested for cholesterol levels, including triglycerides, which is my problem. The minute you feel the symptoms, go to your doctor.

Comment from: sv, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had a heart attack in May. I didn't recognize the arm pain symptoms, namely the pain in both arms. Prior to the pain I felt in my arms, I started feeling pain in my left calf muscle after walking short distances. My advice is to not ignore the pain in your limbs or other unexplained pain in other parts of your body.

Comment from: Not Scared Straight, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

Four years ago the doctor advised my mother to have bypass surgery, and she refused out of fear. She tried to change her bad habit (smoking, sneaking one here and there) until March of 2007 when her right leg was amputated. Eventually, the bypass was performed. Now it's March of 2009 and the peripheral vascular bypass has failed and infected. The threat of another bypass and amputation are close at hand.

Comment from: Jenlduu, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

My symptoms of peripheral vascular disease first started with cold, numb feet and then swelling of my feet only. Then the swelling went away, and my feet only hurt when they got cold. Then they just got cold and numb until I got them warm, and then my feet went back to normal.

Comment from: Troys Daugher, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My dad has recently been diagnosed with peripheral vascular disease. He is in so much pain constantly. He quickly developed blisters on his toe. I praise the Lord for helping us find help. He is having hyperbaric treatments, 30 dives. He "dives" in the chamber at the hospital for two hours, five days a week. He has had six treatments now, and we are seeing some results. We are told to give it four weeks. Medicare is covering his treatments. It is upsetting that more doctors do not know of this and can help people save their limbs and their lives in many of the cases if they do not wait until the limbs start turning black.

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Symptoms Question: What are your symptoms associated with peripheral vascular disease?
Peripheral Vascular Disease - Treatments Question: What forms of treatment, including lifestyle changes, have you tried for peripheral vascular disease?