Patient Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: 54 pad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have PAD (peripheral artery disease) and it is passed on to your kids. My mom had it, my dad, my sister, my brother and now one of my kids might have it. My grandma also had it. I'm going back for bypass, I don't like it but I like my legs.

Comment from: cjnkj03, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am now 42 years old and going on my 37th procedure. I have been bypassed from my abdominal aorta to femoral in both legs 2 times, they have redone both the legs 4 times each. I have had 13 angioplasty procedures and coiling in the subclavian artery in my neck. I am still having issues and am getting ready for surgery again. All I can tell you is keep on going, every day is another day with your loved ones. The pain will never go away but the joy of family is way greater.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

In 2008 I had a triple-by bass for 90% clogged left ventricle. In May of 2009 I had a fem-pop for my right leg which did not work because there was no place in my lower leg to tie in. The doctor said the only thing I could do was keep riding the bike to keep the leg alive so I do every day for about an hour and half. It is very painful but eases up when I rest awhile. I have never smoked but let high blood pressure go on way too long. I can only walk short distance without pain. Such is live with PAD.

Comment from: KK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm a 53 year old female and was diagnosed with PVD in Feb 2011. I started having extreme pain in my foot and my little toe turned purple. I had an Arteriogram and stent placed March 2011. My toe is purple again and painful, not as bad as before, I had a CTA last week and the stent is still open but the branch arteries are so narrow that the blood can't flow. I'm back on Plavix and now Pletal. I have no insurance and this has cost a fortune so far, I'm having the same symptoms in my arm and hand. To top it off they found a nodule on my left lung so this week I had a CT on my lungs and they found 4 pulmonary nodule's, they are too small to biopsy, the radiologist is concerned since they have glass features. Doc told me to walk to see if it helps to get the blood flowing but when I walk the pain is so intense and my toe turns a dark black color. I started back on the Plavix and Pletal today, ever since I took them I have had the worst head ache I have ever had. I wonder if it is the Pletal.

Comment from: Maxine, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My husband has had PVD for several years. He has had constant problems with edema in his legs causing deep ulcers. After multiple visits with our primary doctor, he was finally referred to a vascular surgeon who sent him to a wound clinic specializing in lymphedema wraps. A month later, he underwent fem-pop bypass graft of the left leg and has not had an ulcer since. He was headed for an amputation of the leg. He still has problems with edema, but we wrap the leg quickly and have been able to keep things under control for the last four years. My advice is to keep searching for the right treatment and don't take "no, there is nothing more we can do" for an answer.

Comment from: Tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I'm in the military and around the year 2001 (age 41) was having pain in my calves after walking a short distance. I thought I was just out of shape, and tried to just workout harder. The pain would happen every time I walked or ran at about the same distance. I went to the doctor and he said I needed physical therapy. After some physical therapy and not seeing any progress my wife, who is a nurse suggested I get tested for intermittent claudication. She was right and I was diagnosed with arthrosclerosis. I had a stent placed in my right iliac artery and have since had balloon angioplasty of both the left and right legs. My last procedure resulted in some complications and I bleed out internally at the entry site to the left femoral artery. It took about two months for the large hematoma in my abdomen and left testicular sack to dissolve. I think this could have been prevented by less blood thinner or longer time with a sand bag on my groin after the procedure to ensure the bleeding has stopped. Before and after surgery I was given plavix, but was taken off of it after six weeks. I'm now taking 81mg aspirin, 100 pletal, and 80mg Simvastatin. Pain discourages exercise, but I know that I must exercise three times a week if I'm going to keep this problem in check, or at least slow it down. Maintaining a low fat diet is helpful too. I look forward to the day that we can find a cure for the build up of plaque in the arteries, or a method of safely removing plaque. I don't smoke, I'm not overweight, I'm not diabetic, and my other family members don't seem to have the problem. My only thought is perhaps I could have been more active in my life. Keep moving, walking, running, biking, swimming, anything to make the vessels stay active and open. Good luck all who have this painful condition. God bless my sweet wife for helping me to deal with this disease.

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Symptoms Question: What are your symptoms associated with peripheral vascular disease?
Peripheral Vascular Disease - Treatments Question: What forms of treatment, including lifestyle changes, have you tried for peripheral vascular disease?