Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?

Comment from: Steve McC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I have diabetic peripheral neuropathy. I am 64 and have been suffering with diabetes type 2 for 20 years, and over the last 8 years I have developed neuropathy. I am very weak in the legs and cannot stand up if I fall down. I also am very clumsy, losing control over bowel movements, and have difficulty swallowing, burning pain in the thighs, and numbness in the feet. I found that 800 mg of alpha-lipoic acid a day really helps with leg weakness and I no longer use a walking stick. I still cannot stand up if I fall over, but I can navigate small steps without a handrail without falling over or overbalancing.

Comment from: sarah1938, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about 6 weeks ago. My only pain was in my knee. I have since seen an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed me with osteoarthritis in my knee. After a cortisone shot my knee pain is gone. I don't doubt that I do have peripheral neuropathy however I have gained 5 lb. since being on gabapentin and don't feel any different. Of course my only pain was in my knee. I will be talking to my neurologist about the gabapentin.

Comment from: noone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have peripheral neuropathy, with burning feet and calves, tingling, numbness, and shooting pains in fingers and toes. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I am only 37 years old. It started almost 3 years ago. Face also tingles. Right arm has gone numb already. I have terrible headaches, blurred vision, panic, and anxiety. Life is awful. I just want to stay home all the time. No joy, and no purpose.

Comment from: Nina, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Two years ago I fell while raking leaves while standing on a railroad tie. As I landed very hard on both feet, I felt an enormous rush of electric-like pain shoot up my whole body. I later learned that I had fractured one foot and sprained the other! At the time, those pains took center stage. But after a month or two, I started to feel a tingling (pins and needles) in both the bottoms of my feet. It continued to be a factor, so once I was out of my casts, I made an appointment with a neurologist and after extensive testing, I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. My doctor prescribed gabapentin 300 mg. At first, he started me at a low dosage, finally going to 400 mg 4 times per day (1250). My feet are still somewhat numb and I have some difficulty walking on those painful feet. I will be seeing my doctor in 2 weeks for a further evaluation. One of the many side effects is memory loss, and I fear that the most!

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with Churg-Strauss Syndrome in 2010 and have had peripheral neuropathy in my feet since. I cannot walk for very long and can't stand up for long either. My feet burns, and feels very heavy, my toes are numb sometimes. I'm on Lyrica, it seems to be helping but it is very slow and a long drawn out process. This has changed my quality of life, but I have hope someday I will be normal again.

Comment from: Shelby s., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was told I have endometrial cancer. My doctor did a test and it was found on November 5th. I see a specialist on what they are going to do. I hope that it hasn't spread anywhere else. Hysterectomy may take care of it.

Comment from: Stacey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I have nerve damage in both hands and arms that radiates up to my neck. I have had a nerve conduction test which came back with abnormal results. I recently had an EMG that came back normal. I have found many blogs and research supporting the fact that EMGs cannot prove nerve damage. I am now having to do more research on that. Yes I am in pain from the neuropathy. I live with chronic pain, I take 1200 mg of gabapentin a day, and I deal with chronic fatigue daily. I am seeing a hand specialist to have further tests. I am feeling very frustrated.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.