Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?

Comment from: LAMB50, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been suffering with peripheral neuropathy for 4 years and the stabbing, tingling, throbbing, crawling sensations and intermittent numbness have been horrible, but I didn't want to take things like Lyrica with all the side effects. Anyway I went on to a website and it suggested alpha-lipoic acid, so I bought some that was GMP (good manufacturing practices) approved 300 mg at USD 14. It worked! Since the second day I have been 99 percent pain free. I rarely have a quick sensation and then it is over. I researched it thoroughly and it is natural and without side effects. I just want to share in case someone else can also get relief without hard drugs.

Comment from: Shar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had two atrial fibrillation attacks and on April 5 I'm having cardio ablation. I'm a little nervous about it but I think I'm in good hands and hope like crazy that it cuts down the number of palpitations that I get. It seems that I get many palpitations at night. Go figure, I'm not putting any stress on the heart of course but it really jumps around. By morning when I awake, I don't feel the palpitations. It all began with hyperthyroidism. I really want to get off the medicines (metoprolol and digoxin) that I'm on, I'll have to use the blood thinner forever. I'm female, 55.

Comment from: daisy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have neuropathy of feet and lower legs. My legs are very sensitive to touch, and my left leg is very cold at night and turning a strange reddish blue color. My doctor feels that the cause is circulation. No advice on what to do. Past few nights big toe seems to be getting a darkish gray color.

Comment from: Marci02, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My husband received his very first flu and pneumonia shot in November 2014. He became very sick to his stomach in December. He was sick for a full 7 days, out of work, had vomiting and diarrhea, and was weak. He went to the doctor, who said he has had a virus, and that he should improve. By March 2015 he still wasn't well. April 8th he had so much pain in his limbs that he was crying and went to Urgent Care where his lipase levels were elevated. He was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. He could not walk on his own in the hospital where his doctor told him he was anxious and that he would address his neurological issues at a later date. It was downhill from there, unable to walk, pain in extremities paralysis in the feet, legs and around the mouth, with eyelid droop. Still no answers and no concerned doctor. I fired the doctor, got him into physical therapy and found a new care provider that sent him to a neurologist who did a thorough work up and finally had a diagnosis of Guillain-Barre on Aug 8, 2015! What a nightmare. He continues to suffer with polyneuropathy and is always in pain.

Comment from: JCKC, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had been on an antibiotic for dental work shortly before I began experiencing severe cramping and bloody diarrhea. Tests for C. difficile came back negative and after losing 10 lb. in two weeks and given several IVs in the doctor's office, I was referred to a gastroenterologist. After a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I am on two medications (one permanently). My cramping and diarrhea have cleared up and I am starting to taper off the steroid I was prescribed. I had been in excellent health prior to this and because I don't know what caused the initial flare up, am always scared that it will happen again. Good luck to all that are struggling with colitis.

Comment from: Emma, 45-54 Female Published: February 18

In my 74 years, I have always found a hot water soak to help all infections. It relieves the pain as well.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.