Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?

Comment from: bs0mem, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I was just recently diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy my pain started in my left arm i got numb and started having trouble holding onto things and the pain was at times unbearable, I then began to feel a sharp pain that started in my knee and went both directions up to my hip and down to my toes, the pain then began to start in my right arm and that made everyday life very hard for several days, the pain has since left my legs and right arm and has concentrated itself in only my left arm. I also feel all kinds of different sensations from burning, like a flushing pain that you would feel in your face from niacin, if anyone has experienced that would understand. Or the pain is a tingling sensation like thousands of sharp pins. Now it's mostly just a constant pain that does not go away, my left arm hurts all the time. My doctor prescribed me neurotin 300 mg once a day at bedtime, and it does nothing, but keep me up all night and make me even more depressed. I also get a severe pain in my abdomen which my GI doctor has diagnosed as neuropathy as well. I am currently on oxycontins 10 mg and neither of these meds are helping, in fact I hardly take the morphine at all now. Everything you read now states there is no cure for this condition and many times my wife and children just don't understand why I am so irritated and angry. You know I just want to feel some hope, period.

Comment from: raven_wolf_1251, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have had peripheral neuropathy for a year and a half now. It began with me losing all feeling and strength in my legs. I was in the hospital for two weeks. They told me that it was all in my head. I still don't have any feeling in my legs, but I can walk some. With the added problem of a lower back issue, things are bad. The Dr.'s still think that it is all in my head. I hope that I will find someone to help me figure out what is wrong with me. I am 32 years old, and my 63 year old mother gets around better than I do.

Comment from: Babe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was diagnosed with PN in 1996. I immediately went for a second opinion at Mayo, which confirmed the diagnosis. My mother passed away that spring from PN side effects so I was very aggressive in seeking the cause and treatment of my PN. I have restless legs (since childhood), a burning sensation in my feet, which is worse in the evening, weakness in the thighs so going up steps is difficult, my legs tingle, I feel like I have pressurized socks on, my balance is not good, I drop things often, have chronic sleep problems getting only 4-6 hours of sleep or less, I have loss of reflexes, difficulty with my bowels, urinary incontinence and very little energy. My lower back is painful from spinal stenosis but I am reluctant to have surgery because it hastened my mother's and a neighbor's neuropathy.

Comment from: solo601, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 25

I have been told by my neurologist that I have peripheral neuropathy, and there is no cure. I cannot believe that in this day and age with all the brilliant scientists we have here in this great country of ours, that this is true. I am a World War 2 veteran, and am suffering, with this terrible affliction, can somebody out there please help me. Thank you in anticipation.

Comment from: lgcoc25, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have a burning sensation on the upper part of each foot, most noticeable at night. I also have restless leg syndrome quite frequently, at night. Immediately following major surgery in 2001, I suffered much pain due to a too tight clamp on my left foot; I still bear a large bruise on that upper foot. I am female and 86 years of age. I have CLL and am a heart disease patient.

Comment from: Neuropathy is Awful, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My husband was diagnosed with idiopathic peripheral neuropathy about 3 years ago. He is totally disabled and there is nothing that can be done. The pain never goes away, we have tried Fentanyl patches at the highest dose, several different pain medications with no results. The pain medications help him to relax so the pain is tolerable, but not gone. He has always been a very patient and understanding person, but the depression that has developed as a result of the neuropathy has turned him into a very unhappy person. He did take anti-depressant drugs for about a month but it made the neuropathy pain escalate. This is a horrible condition that takes it toll not only on the person but their family. It is very difficult taking care of someone who suffers from neuropathy as there is truly nothing that helps. Anyone have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. We are at a loss and my husband's outlook on fighting this horrible condition is not good; he tells me almost every day that he just wants it to stop.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.