Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?

Comment from: MJforever, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 28

My father has been suffering from a very severe case of peripheral neuropathy for a year and a half now. It has been gradually worsening with time and now there is also severe ulceration, enamel corrosion, and skin allergies. He is starting to find it difficult to walk, and we have tried all kinds of medication, with no effect.

Comment from: Male 47, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I have Wegener's disease and had kidney cancer, both diagnosed March 2012. The pain started almost immediately and worsened. We always thought, it would go away with time and it has gotten alot worse. Have tried all the Narcotics, with minimal help. Neurontin, Lyrica and several others oddly the Neurontin worked to lessen pain by about 50% for about 3 weeks and the pain came back even worse, almost like the disease finds a way around it? I am now on long term disability and lived a very nice lifestyle. My wife refuses to work more than 15 hours per week in a highly paid profession, I am hopelessly in chronic pain slowly watching our savings dwindle. I hate to say it but at times I want to give up. Any ideas?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had idiopathic peripheral neuropathy for over 20 years. It stauted with just numbness on the bottom of my feet. I now have numbness with tingling and burning pain in my toes and feet. The numbness has progressed into my calves. I take 2400 mg of gabapentin a day and 15 mg of Mobic and supplement with 1000 mg of Tylenol sometimes at night. The pain is much worse when I go to bed. You have to sleep with your feet off the bed and you can't tuck the covers in on the end of the bed.

Comment from: fefe36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have numbiness in my feet and hands that keep me up at night. I was diagnosed at the emergency room with peripheral neuropathy. They prescribed a steroid that didn't help at all. I went to see my doctor to tell him what was going. They took blood from me and put me on two medication.

Comment from: miss Jo Darwin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

With diabetic peripheral neuropathy, I have most trouble with my feet. Feels like sharp pins sticking into me at various locations sometimes my toes, ankles, soles, or calf muscles. I have also noticed I cannot write neat any more as sensation in my fingers is less and I also drop things. Night time is the worst. My feet feel like I am barefoot on ice but hot at same time, restless legs, thigh pain, electric, jelly feeling in my legs when I have to get up at night. My only short term relief is cannabis and massage. The pains will just happen anytime. I hope to find some relief.

Comment from: sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have neuropathy. My legs hurt so bad, my feet burn and I have hammer toes.Pain down my toes and ankles. My arms and shoulders ache with pain. My legs hurt so bad that I can hardly walk. It causes me to be depressed from worry. Pain medications don't help much. I am so tired with no energy.

Comment from: NumbFeet, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

About 9 months ago I started getting odd electric shock sensations through my feet. The pain was intense and all the more shocking because it was always so sudden. Over the next few months I saw a lot of doctors who had nothing to say or ideas as to what was causing my pain. I was eventually put in touch with a neurologist who diagnosed me with severe peripheral neuropathy. At this time they are still uncertain of the cause, but think that it was a vitamin B12 deficiency, although with my current lack of improvement, they are skeptical. The thing that I've struggled with the most with the peripheral neuropathy is the changing sensations in my feet. For the first 4 to 5 months, my feet were in constant agony with the simplest of touches being unbearable. Now however my feet are mostly numb and I honestly don't know which is worse. At least when they were in pain I could feel them. Now I feel as if I'm walking blind, never knowing where my feet really are unless I can see them.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.