Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.

Comment from: Stephanie, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 19

I have had idiopathic neuropathy for 9 years (starting when I was 35). The burning in my feet and legs feels like I am being burned alive. I have tried everything available, natural and prescribed, without much help. I can no longer work, shower for very long, exercise, or walk more than a few steps at a time. The doctors have given up trying to help me. The chronic pain rules my life.

Comment from: joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have nerve damage in both feet, the pain and numbness are bad enough but I can't stand the stiffness. It started right after I retired a year ago. It seems better when I'm walking. I remember I had a ruptured disc years ago, thought maybe that could have caused it. Neurontin is no help.

Comment from: HAMMER, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 17

I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet and both legs. I had a nerve conduction test that verified it as nerve damage. My doctor prescribed Lyrica 300mg, 100mg three times a day. It works pretty well during the day, but when I lay down in bed at night I have excruciating pain in my toes and balls of my feet. I am not able to sleep. Each Lyrica dose lasts for about four to five hours, so it's not enough to last all day. My doctor prescribed hydrocodone once a day at night to help me sleep and ease the pain. I was advised by a friend who is a pharmacist to ask my doctor if I can take Nucynta 100mg three times a day as it might work better than the Lyrica. I haven't done this yet.

Comment from: Hope, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have symmetrical neuropathy and abnormal nerve conduction in both legs. I had pain in my back , hips, groin area, and knees and elbows. I had pain in my legs and feet, fatigue and depression. I had on omeprazole or ranitidine for GERD. I had anemia last year, after three neurologists saying I had nothing. I took it to research by myself. I found out that all this neuropsychiatric symptoms can be brought up by b12 deficiency. I had myself tested and even after having had massive oral doses my B12 count was low. I am presently receiving shots and showing hopeful improvement.

Comment from: Rozaro, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had peripheral neuropathy for several years. I was put on Gabapentin (neurontin), in January. My leg pain (cold fire) was greatly relieved. After four months I developed crying/laughing storms, and swollen tongue and throat and I stopped. Doctors have not been able to stop the swelling. I cannot speak plainly, nor can I swallow normal sized food or pills. I am still seeking a 'cure'.

Comment from: joe blow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

There is numbness and then tingling nerve pain on left side.

Comment from: Johnboy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I've been suffering from burning, buzzing sensations, muscle twitches in my legs and arms, dizzy head, impotence, irritable bowel syndrome, crying for no apparent reason, headaches, migraine, shivering cold and stiff neck. I am so scared and terrified to go to my doctor.

Comment from: gerry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had zona twice in one year and lately it feels like someone is sticking a pin at the end of my big toe it happened a dozen times yesterday. I am seeing a doctor next week, I hope it does not get worse, I'm 81 years old.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?