Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.

Published: July 15

It began to have problems about 5 years ago, my hands and feet tingling and muscle spasms, they came and went but never stayed long, then a year ago I had problems with my right leg going numb from the thigh down and not being able to stand or walk on it. That lessened and moved to my hands, then to my feet working its way up my legs all the way to my lower back, not in the joints mid muscle with loss of feeling and sensations. Then it went to my hands with weakness and cramping. At times the pain is overwhelming and I get no relief from any of the medications prescribed so far. I want it to end one way or the other.

Published: July 14

I have pain mostly on my left side of body. It's sharp pain although it has an accompanied sensation which is very disturbing and hard to tolerate. This sensation is like the feeling you get when you scratch your finger nails on a black board. I also get pins and needles along my arms and burning sensation mostly on my palms but at times it is all over including my tongue. When I am depressed, stressed or worried the symptoms seems to increase. This is a problem because I am fatigued from the feeling. I am booked in to see a pain specialist and neurologist in the future but I need something now. Has anybody had same experience symptoms and what helped?

Published: July 14

I began to have problems about 5 years ago, my hands and feet tingling and muscle spasms, they came and went but never stayed long, then a year ago I had problems with my right leg going numb from the thigh down and not being able to stand or walk on it. That lessened and moved to my hands, then to my feet working its way up my legs all the way to my lower back, not in the joints mid muscle with loss of feeling and sensations. Then to my hands again with weakness and cramping. At times the pain is overwhelming and I get no relief from any of the medications prescribed so far. I want it to end one way or the other.

Published: July 09

Four years ago I started getting burning feet and lower legs which occurs daily with varying degrees of intensity and is worse at night, often waking me up. I have had extensive tests and no cause could be established. I take Vitamin B complex but this does not seem to help. I am reluctant to take painkillers as I was told they need to be taken continuously. At the time it started I was taking Ciprofloxacin for Prostatitis. Does anyone have similar burning pains and have the found any way to emliminate the symptoms?

Published: June 26

I have severe pains in my hands with numbness and tingling. Three doctors have said they don't know what is causing it. A diabetic relative told me to look up peripheral neuropathy on the web and sure enough it looks like what I have. I am not diabetic. I am seeing my internal medical doctor tomorrow about this. I recently had cancer and was taking chemo. It looks like the chemo might have been the cause of this.

Published: June 24

I'm a 41 year old male and have been diagnosed with Bilateral Peripheral Neuropathy since 2007 & had both the NCV and EMG tests. I also had been diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus since 2000. I find that I get pain during and after exertion and weight applied. This resembles extreme sharp pain & cramping in my lower ankles and feet, to the point of not being able to continue walking or standing. I was told by physician to keep hydrated, get off my feet and keep them elevated, and he prescribed a drug called Lyrica. This does help somewhat even though the nerve damage is irreversible. However, with Diabetics its also about getting those High glucose readings below 120, so no further damage occurs.

Published: June 20

My right arm starting feeling weird, kind of numb, my hand looks swiveled (sp) felt like it was drawing in, and very cold from shoulder to finger tips. Can P. N. effect your head, because 3 days ago sitting at my PC everything seem to shift left (very quickly) in my brain, it was very scary and I grab hold of my desk. I didn't move, just the inside of my head. Had a CT scan and blood work and all was okay.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?