Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.

Comment from: Rozaro, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had peripheral neuropathy for several years. I was put on Gabapentin (neurontin), in January. My leg pain (cold fire) was greatly relieved. After four months I developed crying/laughing storms, and swollen tongue and throat and I stopped. Doctors have not been able to stop the swelling. I cannot speak plainly, nor can I swallow normal sized food or pills. I am still seeking a 'cure'.

Comment from: traciW, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I just received diagnosis for peripheral neuropathy after taking a dose of Cipro in 2011. Cipro ruined my life. It left me in pain most of the time among even worse symptoms. It is hard to find a doctor to listen and understand FQ (fluoroquinolone) toxicity.

Comment from: mother, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

With peripheral neuropathy I'm experiencing impulses throughout the body that fire continuously and do not stop. Sensations that are electrical in nature or 'light up' cause inability to focus or converse without sense of alternative or other conversation taking place in body that requires attention.

Comment from: mwfrost396, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about a year ago. I was told it was brought on by my long term alcoholism. I was prescribed Neurontin and it seems to help. Also beneficial is exercise. I put 100 lb. weight on my right leg and work out about an hour every night. I"m walking better and walking seems to help a lot. Good luck to all.

Comment from: gerry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had zona twice in one year and lately it feels like someone is sticking a pin at the end of my big toe it happened a dozen times yesterday. I am seeing a doctor next week, I hope it does not get worse, I'm 81 years old.

Comment from: Old Texan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had a mild case of peripheral neuropathy for about 4 years. It has affected my left hand, left and right feet. For unrelated reasons I started doing yoga about 2.5 years ago. An interesting experience is that the exercises, including the balance poses seemed to mitigate the effect of the condition. I take vitamin B and I would say that the left hand was worse 3 years ago than today. I also bike and swim for exercise. On the days that I exercise I seem to have fewer symptoms. Ibuprofen which I sometimes take for arthritis also seems to help a little.

Comment from: Penny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I worked for over 17 years in medicine and when the pain and numbness started in my feet, I thought I just needed to move around more. Now because of the peripheral neuropathy, I have very poor balance, my feet cannot even stand to have air on them as the nerves are so agitated. My life has changed as now the same problems are occurring with my hands. They say exercise helps but I can't walk.

Comment from: wanttohelp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had peripheral neuropathy (PN) for over 10 years due to Type 2 diabetes (insulin, metformin and others). I go to reflexology treatment weekly and it makes a difference. Look for a certified reflexologist. It's costly but I don't have to deal with side effects of strong medications that only mask the problem. Unfortunately, exercise doesn't yield the same result.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?