Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.

Comment from: joe blow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

There is numbness and then tingling nerve pain on left side.

Comment from: Johnboy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I've been suffering from burning, buzzing sensations, muscle twitches in my legs and arms, dizzy head, impotence, irritable bowel syndrome, crying for no apparent reason, headaches, migraine, shivering cold and stiff neck. I am so scared and terrified to go to my doctor.

Comment from: gerry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had zona twice in one year and lately it feels like someone is sticking a pin at the end of my big toe it happened a dozen times yesterday. I am seeing a doctor next week, I hope it does not get worse, I'm 81 years old.

Comment from: Old Texan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had a mild case of peripheral neuropathy for about 4 years. It has affected my left hand, left and right feet. For unrelated reasons I started doing yoga about 2.5 years ago. An interesting experience is that the exercises, including the balance poses seemed to mitigate the effect of the condition. I take vitamin B and I would say that the left hand was worse 3 years ago than today. I also bike and swim for exercise. On the days that I exercise I seem to have fewer symptoms. Ibuprofen which I sometimes take for arthritis also seems to help a little.

Comment from: Penny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I worked for over 17 years in medicine and when the pain and numbness started in my feet, I thought I just needed to move around more. Now because of the peripheral neuropathy, I have very poor balance, my feet cannot even stand to have air on them as the nerves are so agitated. My life has changed as now the same problems are occurring with my hands. They say exercise helps but I can't walk.

Comment from: wanttohelp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had peripheral neuropathy (PN) for over 10 years due to Type 2 diabetes (insulin, metformin and others). I go to reflexology treatment weekly and it makes a difference. Look for a certified reflexologist. It's costly but I don't have to deal with side effects of strong medications that only mask the problem. Unfortunately, exercise doesn't yield the same result.

Published: July 15

I am disabled with peripheral neuropathy; I am on the highest doses of a series of medicine. We started at the lowest dose and each would work for a time and the pain would come back worse. Not just in my feet and legs although this is where it started. Mine is idiopathic neuropathy. For the last 2 months my feet swelled, mostly on the left side. Now they aren't swelling as much but the pain is unbearable and it is difficult to walk. The ankle on the left still swells, a lot of the time it feels like I have wide straps wrapped around the middle of the foot and pain shoots up and down the inside of toes and legs. I am under the care of a neurosurgeon and my family doctor. I just thought you might have some advice, since we seemed to be at the end of the rope.

Published: July 07

I have peripheral neuropathy as the result of a nerve being compressed during a spinal fusion surgery. It has been a year now, and I still have the pins and needles, bee sting, electric shock and shooting pain sensations in my leg and foot as well as the loss of sensation and hyper sensation of the skin. I currently take 100 mgs of Lyrica three times a day. I will be undergoing a trial using a spinal stimulator that will hopefully lower the level of pain that I have. Then, if it helps, it will be permanently implanted in my spine.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?