Patient Comments: Peripheral Neuropathy - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral neuropathy.

Comment from: Old Texan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had a mild case of peripheral neuropathy for about 4 years. It has affected my left hand, left and right feet. For unrelated reasons I started doing yoga about 2.5 years ago. An interesting experience is that the exercises, including the balance poses seemed to mitigate the effect of the condition. I take vitamin B and I would say that the left hand was worse 3 years ago than today. I also bike and swim for exercise. On the days that I exercise I seem to have fewer symptoms. Ibuprofen which I sometimes take for arthritis also seems to help a little.

Comment from: Penny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I worked for over 17 years in medicine and when the pain and numbness started in my feet, I thought I just needed to move around more. Now because of the peripheral neuropathy, I have very poor balance, my feet cannot even stand to have air on them as the nerves are so agitated. My life has changed as now the same problems are occurring with my hands. They say exercise helps but I can't walk.

Comment from: wanttohelp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had peripheral neuropathy (PN) for over 10 years due to Type 2 diabetes (insulin, metformin and others). I go to reflexology treatment weekly and it makes a difference. Look for a certified reflexologist. It's costly but I don't have to deal with side effects of strong medications that only mask the problem. Unfortunately, exercise doesn't yield the same result.

Published: July 15

I am disabled with peripheral neuropathy; I am on the highest doses of a series of medicine. We started at the lowest dose and each would work for a time and the pain would come back worse. Not just in my feet and legs although this is where it started. Mine is idiopathic neuropathy. For the last 2 months my feet swelled, mostly on the left side. Now they aren't swelling as much but the pain is unbearable and it is difficult to walk. The ankle on the left still swells, a lot of the time it feels like I have wide straps wrapped around the middle of the foot and pain shoots up and down the inside of toes and legs. I am under the care of a neurosurgeon and my family doctor. I just thought you might have some advice, since we seemed to be at the end of the rope.

Published: July 07

I have peripheral neuropathy as the result of a nerve being compressed during a spinal fusion surgery. It has been a year now, and I still have the pins and needles, bee sting, electric shock and shooting pain sensations in my leg and foot as well as the loss of sensation and hyper sensation of the skin. I currently take 100 mgs of Lyrica three times a day. I will be undergoing a trial using a spinal stimulator that will hopefully lower the level of pain that I have. Then, if it helps, it will be permanently implanted in my spine.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma cancer in October 2012. I underwent chemotherapy treatment (Velcade) for approximately 5 months. I have what has been diagnosed as CIPN (chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy). I have tried several different treatments of which none has seemed to help except maybe acupuncture.

Comment from: Cyndi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I noticed the feet pain 5 years ago and thought it was just from being on my feet too much. The pain got so bad i couldn't walk bare foot and it was painful to even take a shower. When I lay down at night the pain and cold freezing stabbing feeling keep me up for hours. I tried nerve blockers, medications, and surgery. Surgery seemed to make it worse and now i am so frustrated. I'm tired of the severe pain and don't want to keep taking narcotics. Don't know what to do.

Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?