Patient Comments: PLMD - Experience

Please describe your experience with PLMD.

Comment from: Sahara5150, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My problem with PLMD started about 5 years ago. Initially it was only my legs that began twitching at night, always as I am dozing off to sleep. The problem has increased over the years to now include my arms, shoulders and upper back, and look like I am having seizures. Typically they last for 2 or 3 hours, but I've had spells last as long as 8 hours. Klonopin is what the doctor prescribed, and all I can tell it does is make me feel stoned while I twitch. Walking seems to be the only way to stop the jerking, but it only helps until I lay back down, then I start flopping all over again. It seems to happen on average about twice a week, but sometimes every night. This, along with my fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis, is making life unbearable.

PLMD - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PLMD?
PLMD - What to Avoid Question: If you've been diagnosed with PLMD, what types of foods, beverages, or medications do you avoid?
PLMD - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your PLMD.