What other names is Perillyl Alcohol known by?
Acide Dihydropérillique, Acide Périllique, Alcohol Perílico, Alcool Périllique, Dihydroperillic Acid, Monoterpene Perillyl Alcohol, Monoterpène, Perillic Acid, Périllique, Perillyl, Perilyl, Perrillyl, POH.
What is Perillyl Alcohol?
Perillyl alcohol is a chemical found in certain plants such as lavender and citrus fruits.
People take perillyl alcohol for cancer
including lung cancer
, breast cancer
, colon cancer
, prostate cancer
, and brain cancer
. It is also used for cancers that don't seem to respond to treatment.
Perillyl alcohol is sometimes applied directly to the skin as a mosquito repellent.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Colorectal cancer. Early research suggests that taking perillyl alcohol by mouth does not keep cancer of the colon or rectum from becoming worse.
- Brain cancer. There are some reports that putting perillyl alcohol solution in the nose might shrink a certain type of brain tumor called oligodendroglioma.
- Ovarian cancer. Early research suggests that taking perillyl alcohol by mouth does not keep ovarian cancer from advancing or increase overall survival in people with ovarian cancer.
- Prostate cancer. There is some evidence that taking perillyl alcohol does not keep prostate cancer from advancing. But the results of this study are unreliable because many of the patients enrolled in the study dropped out early. They couldn't tolerate the side effects of perillyl alcohol.
- Lung cancer.
- Breast cancer.
- Use as a mosquito repellent, when applied to the skin.
- Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of perillyl alcohol for these uses.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).