Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your pericarditis?

Comment from: Moe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My pericarditis started when I woke up with a pain with every breath I took. The doctor told me I was fine, and I went home and the pain was gone after a week. It came back after two days. I saw the doctors every two days and still they said nothing was wrong. My heart rate went to 149/100 and they started to do tests on me. I was 20 years old when this happened.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 02

Diagnosed with pericarditis a week ago aftre experiencing severe pain. Three vists to the ER later I developed A-fib and had to be converted back to a normal rhythm. Prescribed 800 mg of Motrin 3x/day which had some effect, them it got worse. Now on Prednisone corticsteriods to try and reduce the inflammation. This condition typically resolves itself over time and a positive attitude is a must, even better, humor. Easier said that done when you're doubled over in pain, but hey - this doesn't kill you but it tests your mettle to be sure. Keep well everyone.

Comment from: ceebee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

Terrible chest pain that varied from a tight cramping sensation around the heart that would spread across my chest and diaphragm, to a sharp stabbing pain in the area of the heart that would spread up my neck and shoulder and that I felt with each heartbeat. Pain would worsen if I bent too far forward, lay flat on my back, coughed, or breathed deeply, and would ease if I leaned forward slightly and took shallow breaths. My heart at times would beat very hard and\or fast, as well as irregular. Had a constant heavy sensation and tightness in my chest. A pounding headache, weakness, occasional anxiety, and felt tired all the time. Despite treatment, this is still going strong, and I've had it for a month and a half now.

Comment from: Ceruleanblue312, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Sharp pain on breathing in or leaning back, had pain in chest as well as sharp pain in throat. Pain was eased by sitting up or very slightly forward. I have had at least 3 recurrances of pericarditis since the initial instance but much less severe.

Comment from: guscabs, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had pericarditis 4 times in a year, first one started back in February 09 and to the present day. Last week I was in hospital for 2 nights. Last Thursday I was sent home, with a lot of tablets, and to finish the course. Today on 1.2.2011, I still have it in my system, all last week, I was pumped full of pain killers, this condition does last for a while, getting totally fed up with this.

Comment from: caleb28525, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I am dealing with an unknown situation now. In May of 2011 I had fluid in the pleural area of my left lung had to be drained with a Pleurx tube and this past October my right side had a tube in the lung to drain off fluid. Both times the fluid tests yielded no bacteria or viral infections but blood counts on both white and red were high. Then this past Monday I had trouble breathing and the center of my chest hurt. I went into ER and was admitted straight to the ICU. There they found I had the heart fluid was inflamed but still no known cause. I talked with the doctors and they said the issue with my lungs and heart is related and I could have Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or any number of things. We are now undergoing extensive lab testing.

Pericarditis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pericarditis.
Pericarditis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or procedures did you or a relative receive for pericarditis?
Pericarditis - Causes Question: Did an inflammatory disease or infection cause your pericarditis? What was the cause?