Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Causes

Did an inflammatory disease or infection cause your pericarditis? What was the cause?

Comment from: Peter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

My first sign that I had a problem was during a normal run, which I normally go 7 to 8 miles and suddenly couldn't go 200 yards as I became totally out of breath. No heart pain or other symptoms, except lack of energy and so had to do other less energetic workouts. It took over 3 months for the doctors to identify the problem, and it was identified when I had an MRI looking at my liver, and discovered the pericarditis. It turned out that it was chronic, and the sac was removed where the surgeon found extreme calcification, that also had extended to my heart. The surgeon also had to scrape the heart as the sac had attached to the heart and there was calcification on the heart. No cause was identified, no infection or cancer.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

It is now clear that my pericarditis was caused by a thymoma tumor. However, at the time of the pericarditis no CT scan was done and it has taken another 18 months, together with the onset of myasthenia gravis before my local hospital decided that a CT scan should be performed. This has revealed pericarditis spreading beyond the capsule of the thymoma. Conclusion is unless the cause of pericarditis has been definitively established by some other method, a CT scan should be performed to detect any tumor at the earliest opportunity.

Comment from: DB60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Five weeks following lung surgery to remove a bacterial mass thought to be lung cancer (instead an embedded pneumonia), I developed severe chest pain radiating across my chest, into my neck and shoulders. My thoracic surgeon sent me to the ER and subsequently admitted under the care of a cardiologist. At this time, my Dr. Feels that this was caused by trauma from the lung surgery. After 3 days in the hospital, I was discharged with steroid treatment. It has now been 5 weeks (10 weeks since my lung surgery) and they have added Colcrys to the Prednisone to try and get this under control. It is getting discouraging since I have always been healthy, active, and in very good shape - play tennis, run, exercise regularly until now. Now I just want to breathe without pain.

Pericarditis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pericarditis.
Pericarditis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your pericarditis?
Pericarditis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or procedures did you or a relative receive for pericarditis?