Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Causes

Did an inflammatory disease or infection cause your pericarditis? What was the cause?

Comment from: DB60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Five weeks following lung surgery to remove a bacterial mass thought to be lung cancer (instead an embedded pneumonia), I developed severe chest pain radiating across my chest, into my neck and shoulders. My thoracic surgeon sent me to the ER and subsequently admitted under the care of a cardiologist. At this time, my Dr. Feels that this was caused by trauma from the lung surgery. After 3 days in the hospital, I was discharged with steroid treatment. It has now been 5 weeks (10 weeks since my lung surgery) and they have added Colcrys to the Prednisone to try and get this under control. It is getting discouraging since I have always been healthy, active, and in very good shape - play tennis, run, exercise regularly until now. Now I just want to breathe without pain.

Pericarditis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pericarditis.
Pericarditis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your pericarditis?
Pericarditis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or procedures did you or a relative receive for pericarditis?