Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment or procedures did you or a relative receive for pericarditis?

Comment from: don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I was diagnosed with pericarditis months ago and have been on medications. It helped for a while, then it came back. I am in hospital now and had surgery to put what they call a window in the pericardium. They drew a quart of fluid from around my heart and have a drain tube which will be removed today. They will be testing the biopsy and fluid to determine the cause.

Comment from: pugloverr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am 19 and have this my doctor prescribed me methylprednisolone 4 mg Dosepak for pericarditis that I have to take for 6 days and I should be better.

Comment from: MarkP, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

My doctor prescribed 800mg ibuprofen to be taken 3 times daily for 2 weeks and 0.5mg colchicine to be taken twice daily for 3 months.

Comment from: jedsusa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was about 20 at the time I was given the diagnosis pericarditis. I am now 76. I was put on penicillin for a year and then I was fine. I do not know if that treatment is done today. The symptoms were having trouble breathing and pain in the chest.

Pericarditis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pericarditis.
Pericarditis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your pericarditis?
Pericarditis - Causes Question: Did an inflammatory disease or infection cause your pericarditis? What was the cause?