Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pericarditis.

Comment from: Anna B., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I started experiencing mild chest pain. I went to a minor emergency facility just to be safe. As I lay on the exam table pain greatly increased. I was given chest x-ray, blood tests, and EKG, which were normal but the pain was so severe I was given morphine and transferred to hospital. All tests were normal. I was discharged. One day later low grade fever started. My chest continued to hurt especially when taking deep breaths, bending over or lying down. Fever continued and 1 month later I was finally diagnosed with pericarditis with some effusion. I had no prior symptoms or illnesses.

Comment from: D, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I felt a dull pain in my chest for 10 days before going to hospital. They say I have viral pericarditis which has not been confirmed, the doctor says everything is pointing that way. It has been 5 weeks since I went to the hospital and I am just starting to feel better this week. For the first 4 weeks I was taking high dose aspirin and staying home as it seems to get worse if I get any part of a cold, with a virus already in me it was easy to catch anything going around. I felt like I was going to die for the first for weeks, but now I am finally starting to feel better after 5 weeks, so hang in there and rest, rest, rest. And good luck.

Comment from: Not fun., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

Early 2015 I dealt with a severe case of pericarditis. It wasn't fun in the slightest. The main reason it was real bad is that I kept on ignoring the pain in my chest, especially when I was lying down. I'd counter it with codeine; a lot of codeine. I dealt with it for about a week until the pain got far too bad that I couldn't just deal with it. I was shouting out for my mum and they rushed me to the hospital. I consider myself to be pretty good with pain but I had never dealt with this pain in my life. I was practically screaming. They rushed me in and gave me morphine to calm me down. It was an absolute blessing. For about 15 minutes until the pain kicked back in again, they gave me a drip and so many pills because it was 3 am and the other patients weren't too happy. I eventually slept. The morning after, the nurse said that she hasn't seen anyone be given that much pain medication and not pass out asleep in her entire 10 years of being a nurse. Anyway, I was there for a little over a week. I couldn't breathe by myself which was pretty bad. I have to admit, I still miss the oxygen. A lot more than the medication I was given to soothe the pain. One other thing, if you feel a pain in your chest go to the doctor straight away. Not worth the risk in the slightest.

Comment from: pugloverr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Two nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night. Then I noticed I have this pain on my left side under my breast bone. And my heart was racing and I had a hard time breathing. I thought it was nothing. I couldn't go back to sleep because when I lay flat I'd have a hard time breathing and felt the pain. But when I sat up or leaned forward I felt better but still had a hard time breathing. Then I went to the doctor yesterday and told the nurse and doctor how I felt. They did the typical heart rate check and the doctor listened to how my breathing was and automatically knew it was pericarditis. He prescribed me methylprednisolone 4 mg Dosepak that I have to take for 6 days and told me I should be fine after. I started the medication yesterday and it is starting to help. There is a little the pain but it doesn't hurt as much. I am still having a hard time breathing a little but it's only my second day on the medication. I have a while to go still hopefully after this I'll be better.

Comment from: dlmtnfolks, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I felt pressure with pain like a fist full of knuckles on my sternum and my back, trying to meet in the middle. I have a bad back so jumped in the shower to try to relax it and just in case I wanted to be fresh in case I needed to go the emergency room (ER). No relief, so off I went to the ER. Upon admission I had a positive troponin, so off to the catheter lab. I had no blockages, then I had echocardiogram; no aneurism, and no heart failure. I was sent home after 1.5 days on colchicine and ibuprofen. ] I have determined that this was an acute phase of a chronic problem. I have rheumatoid arthritis, my problem was diagnosed as pericarditis caused by an acute exacerbation of inflammation. Once it was determined that I was not in an acute life or death threat, it seems I was no longer interesting and am having to 'drive the bus' myself. My last visit to the cardiologist was, 'we don't know why and we don't know how to keep it from happening again'.

Pericarditis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your pericarditis?
Pericarditis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or procedures did you or a relative receive for pericarditis?
Pericarditis - Causes Question: Did an inflammatory disease or infection cause your pericarditis? What was the cause?