Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pericarditis.

Comment from: Danny, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I suffered from Kawasaki disease when I was little between the ages of 2 to 5 years old. I think this could be why I'm suffering from pericarditis now at the age of 24.

Comment from: Superman, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was sleeping and woke up in the middle of the night with severe chest pains. My left arm was numb, and I had a tingling feeling in the back of my neck and chin. I was flipping out because I thought I was having a heart attack at 24. It scared the living bejesus out of me! I was diagnosed with pericarditis and was off work for about a week. I had no other symptoms.

Comment from: salmon95, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I am a 49-year-old man who recently traveled to Texas for a business trip. I was conducting a presentation when I started feeling some pain in my chest. I did not think it was anything other than maybe some indigestion as I had just had a small lunch. In a very short period of time, the chest pains got worse, and I was having a hard time breathing. I still did not want to say anything to anyone, hoping this would pass. I could not have been more wrong. Things got bad very fast. My chest and breathing became extremely painful to the point I thought I would pass out. I told a nurse, and she brought me to the ER. They did an EKG and CAT scan of my head and chest. I also had very high blood pressure, so I was given meds to bring this under control. I was still in a lot of pain and could not lie down. I was diagnosed with pericarditis and admitted to the ICU overnight and then to the telemetry unit overnight and discharged the next day. I was told to take 600 mg of ibuprofen three times a day and consult a cardiologist as soon as I returned home. I will be calling on Monday; however, I am a bit nervous as I am still having shortness of breath and some slight chest pain.

Comment from: Ab, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

It started out as shortness of breath and heartburn like pain. I went to the doctor on a Tuesday and was diagnosed with ulcers and put on medication, the following day it got worse and that evening was admitted into the hospital with ulcers as the main suspect. I had an epi something done on Friday and discharged that afternoon. immediately I developed a cough that wouldn't stop and the following morning I was back in the E.R, for the first time the doctor decided to send me for an x ray and he discovered the heart had become so enlarged it was pushing on the lungs. He recommended I come back on Monday and that is when I was admitted and told I had pericarditis. At this point I had lost a lot of weight and didn't eat much. The pain was immense and I was relieved to hear I would be going for surgery the following day (Tuesday). It went well and I spent 10 days in the hospital then went back to normal life. I was put on tuberculosis medicine as well for 8 months. I had missed a whole term of school, but I still managed to catch up without repeating that year. I was 15 and turned 16 a week after surgery and I am 25 today, completely cured and healthy only the scar left as a reminder.

Comment from: sick of it, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I found out I had acute pericarditis a few months ago. I had severed pain in my chest and could not sleep well. No matter what I did. I could not even walk far. I was off work for a month. I went to four different hospitals because of my breathing and chest pain. Two told me it was angina. Two told me it was pericarditis. I had all kinds of EKG tests, stress test etc. I was hospitalized twice. I still didn't get the answers I was looking for. Now it is back, my left hand gets numb with severe chest pain and headaches it has been like this for a couple days now. I am wondering if it is more than what I was told because no one told me it could reoccur. I don't want to put myself threw endless tests for them to tell me to rest.

Published: July 29

I am a 31 year old male who just got diagnosed with having pericarditis. I was experiencing discomfort in my left shoulder, like a sharp pain. This began in the morning on a Wednesday. It was Friday evening of the same week when I tried to lay down to go to sleep when I experienced a sharp pain in my chest which did not allow me to breathe very well. It did not matter if I went on my back or on my stomach; even on my side I still felt the pressure to my chest. I went to the emergency at 4:30am to find out what was going on and at first they thought I may have a bladder problem because one indication of that begins with pain in your shoulder as well. But after doing some blood tests, a few EKG's and an x-ray of my heart they determined I had inflammation of my heart (Pericarditis). They gave me a prescription of some drugs and I am currently recovering at home just trying to take it easy and hope that I am okay.

Pericarditis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your pericarditis?
Pericarditis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or procedures did you or a relative receive for pericarditis?
Pericarditis - Causes Question: Did an inflammatory disease or infection cause your pericarditis? What was the cause?