- Heart Disease Slideshow Pictures
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Describe Your Experience
- Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Symptoms and Signs
- Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Pericarditis - Causes
- Find a local Cardiologist in your town
What causes pericarditis?
Pericarditis is usually from unknown causes (idiopathic). The cause may often be viral infections. Causes of pericarditis include:
Diseases that can cause generalized inflammation in other places within the body can also cause inflammation of the pericardium. Some examples include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Heart attack can cause direct irritation and inflammation of the pericardial lining.
- Dressler's syndrome describes inflammation caused by an immune response to heart tissue damage from heart attack, open heart surgery, or a trauma.
- Radiation therapy