Patient Comments: Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Treatments

What kinds of treatments did you receive for a peptic ulcer?

Comment from: Liz, Female Published: June 03

I am the caregiver to my husband, who is fighting pancreatic cancer and heart problems. Two weeks ago I awoke with what I thought was a bite on my torso at my rib cage. When my husband saw it he thought it was a boil, but I put tea tree oil on it and thought it would dry up. In a week it began to drain, with a bloody pus, and eventually dried up. But, two days later, it again filled with pus, turned red and burned. Being Memorial Day weekend, I decided to go to the doctor, instead of suffer for another 4 days. She lanced it and sent a culture off for diagnosis. At that time she put me on Keflex Pulvule 500 MG. The next Tuesday, she emailed me telling me I had Staphylococcus epidermidis and that the Keflex would not work, she was putting me on doxycycline hyclate 100 MG for the next 10 days. I have no idea how I picked this up, but consider myself very lucky I went to the doctor when I did.

Comment from: PerforatedMMM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had severe abdominal (neck, shoulder, and back too) pain that resulted in emergency surgery to patch a perforated ulcer that I never knew I had. Turned out it was NSAIDS, (ibuprofen, as well as the final blow; prednisone for poison ivy reaction). I had nasogastric (NG) tube for 5-6 days, IV fluids for 8 days of hospitalization, and laparoscopic surgery. Now almost 8 weeks later, I'm still having periodic debilitating pain in my abdomen. CT scans and endoscopy show that I am ulcer free, healed up too. I am focusing on my diet now. I follow BRAT diet and I can't tolerate roughage apparently. I'm wondering how long until I can be pain free with a normal diet!

Comment from: sweetpea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I have 4 peptic ulcers, two in the stomach and two in the small intestine. I didn't know I had them until I was hospitalized for the pain. I was in for five days. I was prescribed Protonix but could not afford it. However, I do take Prilosec twice a day forever now. It does help. Diet modification is a must. Do your research on PP (proton pump) inhibitors. Unfortunately, to know for sure, you have to have the EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) test.

Comment from: memyselfaneye, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

In October 2014 I visited the urologist because of reduced voiding potential (night voiding and weak leakage). He gave me tamsulosin. I have been taking it all this time. On 4th December 2015 (again entering colder weather) voiding over the night became very limited, and painful. Urologist's exams found no anatomical obstruction, urine retention was up to 380 ml. I refused catheter. I had to urinate up to 30 times per day, 3 to 4 times per night. I am trying to relax when urinating. I am doing Kegel exercises. I am assuming I had neurogenic bladder, but again feeling like my outer sphincter isn't relaxing enough when urinating. On 12th December I started acupuncture and following two days I had relief and normal voiding. I repeated acupuncture 4 times, until 23 December. In the meantime retention repeated. Since 21st December I have no retention anymore. I don't know what happened. I wonder if acupuncture has done the job. Or perhaps it is the fact that since 19th December I regularly eat 4 or 5 spoonsful of pumpkin seed. Or maybe the acupuncturist, knowing the working stress I have had for the last 16 years, influenced my nervous system; Yin-Yang balance. Also, since I can remember as a child, I was avoiding urinating, so I was holding urine as long as possible. Good luck everyone, retention is a real stress!

Comment from: Polyanthus, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Have had acid regurgitation for three weeks and it is getting worse every day. Had test for H Pylori results take a week. Now have pain just under right ribs which is aggravated by sitting and standing. Regurgitated blood and went to E.D. was sent home with pump inhibiters. I take aspirin on a regular basis so this could be the cause of severe gastritis that can sometimes cause bleeding. I want the H pylori test to be positive (the only test I have ever wanted to be positive) as the treatment is very successful. Have to have a gastroscopy down the track though.

Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Symptoms Question: What were signs and symptoms did you experience with a peptic or stomach ulcer?
Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Causes Question: In your opinion, what was the cause of a peptic or stomach ulcer in you, a friend, or relative?
Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Complications Question: What complications did you have with a peptic or stomach ulcer? Please share your story.