Patient Comments: Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Symptoms

What were signs and symptoms did you experience with a peptic or stomach ulcer?

Comment from: Suecport, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have 2 stomach ulcers and will be on lansoprazole for the rest of my life. My ulcers will never go because I also take aspirin daily for my heart. When they really flare up I'm sick, sweat profusely, cannot eat or drink and when they spasm I sometimes collapse in agony. No painkillers even touch them.

Comment from: Candlelady42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My peptic ulcer symptoms are severe stabbing, throbbing, and burning pain in chest, ribs, and upper stomach.

Comment from: Peaches, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

Before I had peptic ulcer I was on the treadmill for months and had no pain. I noticed a constant feeling of slight tiredness. I ignored it. One day I had no appetite and went to bed feeling fine. Soon I began having constant diarrhea that was deep black, and uncontrollable urination. After going to the bathroom twice I almost passed out from losing so much blood, it was everywhere and I was sweating profusely. I lost the ability to walk. This went on all night long and by 6 am I knew I had to call 911. I spent 3 days in the hospital with, at first, a red blood count of eight.

Comment from: smb2012, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had digestion issues for several years. However, for almost a month these issues had gotten dramatically worse. I was very sick and had been practically living in the bathroom. Also, I was having sharp pains under my right breast, in my rib cage. I went to my doctor and they rushed me to the emergency room (ER), predicting some issues with my gallbladder. However, after several tests, and several days, this was false. Nobody had any clue as to why I was sick. The doctors performed an upper and lower endoscopy. Here I learned that I had 3 peptic ulcers in the upper part of my abdomen. I was prescribed a medicine for the healing of these ulcers. I am still feeling sharp pains in this area after 2 months of medication. I still have bad days where I am sick but must work through this. I am hoping that these symptoms will soon pass and I can resume my life. I am a female 20 years old.

Comment from: Danny, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I have pains after eating fatty or spicy food. The pain is made worse by lying on my left side. Pains are felt out through back and front of abdomen under the ribs (stomach area). The pain sensation is piercing and burning with indigestion and heartburn.

Comment from: SLEDGEHAMMER61, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have a burning sensation sometimes in the upper back left rib area, sometimes stabbing pains. I wonder if this could be a stomach ulcer that radiates pain to that back area.

Comment from: None, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

The symptom of my peptic ulcer was stomach pain before and after eating.

Comment from: fritscher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I, like one of the other posters, had a big scare last week. I normally am active and healthy but for the past month I was getting short of breath and hearing pulse pounding in my head. I thought I was having heart issues. I went to the family doctor who did blood work. He called me last weekend to get myself to the emergency room (ER) as soon as possible or I could have heart attack from distress. When I got there found my red blood to be a 4 and had gastro intestinal bleeding. They gave me transfusion of 6 units and then did the upper gastro intestinal test and found a large blood clot. They had to go in a second day to treat the ulcer as the clot had to be removed with medication first to insure nothing worse would happen. They clipped the ulcer the next day during the upper endoscopy. I was in intensive care for 4 days. I am home now. I am still feeling some upper back pain intermittently but hopefully that is just part of healing. I am on the pump for the acid reduction and need to have follow-ups soon.

Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments did you receive for a peptic ulcer?
Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Causes Question: In your opinion, what was the cause of a peptic or stomach ulcer in you, a friend, or relative?
Peptic (Stomach) Ulcer - Complications Question: What complications did you have with a peptic or stomach ulcer? Please share your story.