Patient Comments: Peptic Ulcer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of your peptic ulcer?

Comment from: Danny, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I have pains after eating fatty or spicy food. The pain is made worse by lying on my left side. Pains are felt out through back and front of abdomen under the ribs (stomach area). The pain sensation is piercing and burning with indigestion and heartburn.

Comment from: fritscher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I, like one of the other posters, had a big scare last week. I normally am active and healthy but for the past month I was getting short of breath and hearing pulse pounding in my head. I thought I was having heart issues. I went to the family doctor who did blood work. He called me last weekend to get myself to the emergency room (ER) as soon as possible or I could have heart attack from distress. When I got there found my red blood to be a 4 and had gastro intestinal bleeding. They gave me transfusion of 6 units and then did the upper gastro intestinal test and found a large blood clot. They had to go in a second day to treat the ulcer as the clot had to be removed with medication first to insure nothing worse would happen. They clipped the ulcer the next day during the upper endoscopy. I was in intensive care for 4 days. I am home now. I am still feeling some upper back pain intermittently but hopefully that is just part of healing. I am on the pump for the acid reduction and need to have follow-ups soon.

Comment from: Eric, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I was told I had a peptic ulcer. When I worked lifting, the pain made my work extremely difficult. The pain started in the back above my kidneys and radiated to the front on the sides of my ribcage. You would swear it was a heart attack coming on. Sometimes I felt it in my chest around my heart. When I ate, the pain would subside and then come back about 30 minutes later. I bought Zantac 75. Then it would be gone for three or four hours, but come back sooner. I then switched to Zantac 150. That worked a lot better. I found out after trial and error that taking it first thing in morning was better than taking it at lunch. Now, my work performance is back to normal.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

3 days ago I began to have stomach pain that radiated into my spine. I had this last fall and went to urgent care. They did an ultrasound and results were that my pancreas was fine and so was my gallbladder, they did find I had a hemangioma on my liver non-symptomatic, not related to the pain. I had a CT scan to confirm that it was benign. Here I am again with this pain, I am guessing it is an ulcer, so I've been taking Prevacid (my 3rd day). The pain has gotten better but my stomach is sore to touch or when I push on the lower right area. I'm thinking it's because that area is still sensitive, should it already be better? Today I'm feeling a little tired, it's not like me to be tired in the morning, is this Prevacid? Yesterday I also took Maalox to help with the pain, but now I have diarrhea? Should I go to urgent care or wait to see my doctor next week? Is this consistent with ulcers?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My first symptoms were nausea and sharp pain under my breast bone, particularly at night. The worst pain would wake me up and usually lasted for 30 minutes or less. I was diagnosed with three gastric ulcers through an upper endoscopy. I was prescribed Nexium for 90 days, and that did a great job of controlling my symptoms. I tried to stop the medication after that time period, but the nausea returned. I am back on Nexium for the time being, but I will probably try some OTC options soon because of the expense.

Comment from: casper, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

Two years ago I too had some sort of burning sensation in my stomach; I consulted a physician who prescribed antacid for almost two weeks. After that I didn't have any sort of burning but the skin on both of my cheeks started drying up and turned itself into a sunburn like appearance. Immediately I consulted a dermatologist who prescribed some ointment. This never worked. At the same time my friends say that it's a symptom of the ulcer. I am in a dilemma these days, so can any body help me out.

Peptic Ulcer - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments did you receive for your peptic ulcer?
Peptic Ulcer - Causes Question: In your opinion, what was the cause of a peptic ulcer in you, a friend, or relative?
Peptic Ulcer - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your peptic ulcer? Please share your story.