Patient Comments: Peptic Ulcer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of your peptic ulcer?

Comment from: Ranxo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I have been experiencing pains (like heartburn) on my chest especially from 1 to 3 a.m. The doctor told me I have ulcer as a result of bacteria infections.

Comment from: TummyTrouble, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

After a week of pain, tightening of the abdomen, bloating, pain to my back I had an endoscopy. They found 13 ulcers in my stomach. I am taking Omeprazole now. It is still very uncomfortable and I cannot really eat or drink.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I suddenly became in horrible pain in the upper brisket area. It lasted the first time for about 30 minutes and has returned with a rerun several times. Yeah the pain is very severe and I also run a fever of 101.

Comment from: Sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was feeling nauseated for about 2 weeks. At first I thought it was a stomach bug since my kids had been sick recently. I went to see my doctor at about the 10 day mark. It was explained that my stomach issues and the fact that I had diarrhea off and on over the last week could be due to an ulcer. He gave me some Protonix and said that a prescription for Phenergan would help with the sick feeling. The next day I had severe upper gastric pain, right under the breastbone. It was so bad. I couldn't move or do anything. My stomach would tense up, but I couldn't relax it. I went to the ER and they took blood and did a CAT scan. I was told that I had an ulcer that had nearly eaten through my stomach. They put me on Tetracycline, Metronidazole and Sucralfate. I am feeling better, but had only clear fluids for 3 days. (What a way to loose a few pounds!) I was told to take Phenergan as needed and keep up with the Protonix. I have samples of Protonix from my doctor, but will probably have to find something over the counter as my insurance does not cover any of the H2 medicines in prescription form.

Comment from: salty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a duodenal bleeding ulcer about 28 years ago. It was horrible; I am suffering the same symptoms now. Do I run to the emergency room again? It is very painful, the same nausea, burping, pain in my upper and lower abdomen, and bloating pain right through my back. I am a 51 yr old woman.

Comment from: fitter, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 09

My partner has a peptic ulcer. He has had this for about eight years. He gets very sick twice a year with rapid weight loss. He is waiting for a hospital appointment.

Comment from: jimsd, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 12

Stomach ache comes back 30-45 minutes after eating. Also, I pass more gas than usual. Belching is more common, but there is less burning sensation in esophagus than I have had in the past.

Comment from: lindagordon56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My ulcer attack started after drinking coffee one morning. My stomach felt like it was being strangled. Sitting put pressure on it and was very uncomfortable.

Published: July 16

I am awaiting surgery for my ulcer, I have just had a blood transfusion (6 pints), have experienced extreme stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, weight loss, no energy or strength. I am a 33 year old male, my condition was caused from taking high doses of Neurofen Plus.

Peptic Ulcer - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments did you receive for your peptic ulcer?
Peptic Ulcer - Causes Question: In your opinion, what was the cause of a peptic ulcer in you, a friend, or relative?
Peptic Ulcer - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your peptic ulcer? Please share your story.