Patient Comments: Peptic Ulcer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of your peptic ulcer?

Comment from: Tiki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have suffered from indigestion for many years, but when I woke up at 3 a.m. just over a year ago, I never suspected I had an ulcer. My husband had suffered with kidney stones before, and as I was in a lot of pain and could not find any comfortable position, I assumed I had the same. I took some ibuprofen and diclofenac and suffered until I could get to the doctor six hours later! Self-medicating was the worst thing I could have done as both of these medicines are extremely bad for ulcers. I received antibiotics and now take Maalox daily, but I still have pain that typically starts at 3 a.m. after “slightly excessive” eating. I will probably have to watch my diet for a long time to come.

Comment from: phlutter, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had been initially having problems with constipation and vomiting. I would feel very full after eating a meal and it seemed like food would just sit in my gut for longer than usual. I had a severely upset to my stomach two to three times a week, so much so, that I would need to either sleep until it subsided or throw up until I couldn't throw up anymore and would then feel better.

Comment from: gen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have stomach ulcer for a long time now, but it is not that severe. I usually feel a hungry sensation as the onset of this disease. After that, i am going to have a burning sensation in the upper part of my stomach and then this will lead to a slicing pain with sourness in my stomach.

Published: July 31

My peptic ulcer symptoms were severe. I had stabbing pain above my belly button area and nausea. I take over-the-counter Prilosec and have been dealing with ulcers since 1991. I'm dealing with a lot of pain, nausea and weakness right now. I might look to alternative medicines to see if something helps.

Published: July 22

With my peptic ulcer, I experienced severe pain in my upper abdomen and by my breast bone. The pain lasted four hours, and I was sweating from being in so much pain. I also had a loss of appetite and bloody, loose stool.

Published: June 09

I don't know yet if I have a Peptic Ulcer, but today for not obvious reason I have had on three occasions lost a lot of dark tarry substance, instead of my normal stool. I have NO pain at all, it's just when I feel the need to go to the toilet, it come out of me like liquid. I am and have been a user of NSAI tablets for quite a few years, without any problems. This has come completely out of no-where. Tomorrow I will see my doctor and see what can be done, but today I am quite scared.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I suddenly became in horrible pain in the upper brisket area. It lasted the first time for about 30 minutes and has returned with a rerun several times. Yeah the pain is very severe and I also run a fever of 101.

Comment from: Sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was feeling nauseated for about 2 weeks. At first I thought it was a stomach bug since my kids had been sick recently. I went to see my doctor at about the 10 day mark. It was explained that my stomach issues and the fact that I had diarrhea off and on over the last week could be due to an ulcer. He gave me some Protonix and said that a prescription for Phenergan would help with the sick feeling. The next day I had severe upper gastric pain, right under the breastbone. It was so bad. I couldn't move or do anything. My stomach would tense up, but I couldn't relax it. I went to the ER and they took blood and did a CAT scan. I was told that I had an ulcer that had nearly eaten through my stomach. They put me on Tetracycline, Metronidazole and Sucralfate. I am feeling better, but had only clear fluids for 3 days. (What a way to loose a few pounds!) I was told to take Phenergan as needed and keep up with the Protonix. I have samples of Protonix from my doctor, but will probably have to find something over the counter as my insurance does not cover any of the H2 medicines in prescription form.

Peptic Ulcer - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments did you receive for your peptic ulcer?
Peptic Ulcer - Causes Question: In your opinion, what was the cause of a peptic ulcer in you, a friend, or relative?
Peptic Ulcer - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your peptic ulcer? Please share your story.