Patient Comments: Peptic Ulcer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of your peptic ulcer?

Comment from: Lori S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I just recently was diagnosed with three peptic ulcers by having an upper endoscopy. Two months later, I had a re-check with an upper endoscopy, and there was five ulcers found. I have been on Prevacid for six years (ever since I was diagnosed with my first ulcer). The ulcers at one time or another seem to always heal on there own. But this is the first time multiple ulcers were found. I am hoping for the best. My worst symptom is I have spasms in my throat where I cannot swallow, and I have lost about 13 pounds, which is not good because my previous weight was only 115 pounds and I am down to 102 pounds at 5 feet 6 inches.

Comment from: Lailasmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was diagnosed with peptic ulcers at the age of 13, which is 22 years ago. I get flare-ups every so often. Two days ago was the worst one I felt in years and actually woke me up from a deep sleep. I was on Tagamet for years as a teen, but I haven't taken that in years and seemed like the only one that works for me. Just thought I would share. Ulcers never go away.

Comment from: Tiki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have suffered from indigestion for many years, but when I woke up at 3 a.m. just over a year ago, I never suspected I had an ulcer. My husband had suffered with kidney stones before, and as I was in a lot of pain and could not find any comfortable position, I assumed I had the same. I took some ibuprofen and diclofenac and suffered until I could get to the doctor six hours later! Self-medicating was the worst thing I could have done as both of these medicines are extremely bad for ulcers. I received antibiotics and now take Maalox daily, but I still have pain that typically starts at 3 a.m. after “slightly excessive” eating. I will probably have to watch my diet for a long time to come.

Comment from: phlutter, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had been initially having problems with constipation and vomiting. I would feel very full after eating a meal and it seemed like food would just sit in my gut for longer than usual. I had a severely upset to my stomach two to three times a week, so much so, that I would need to either sleep until it subsided or throw up until I couldn't throw up anymore and would then feel better.

Comment from: gen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have stomach ulcer for a long time now, but it is not that severe. I usually feel a hungry sensation as the onset of this disease. After that, i am going to have a burning sensation in the upper part of my stomach and then this will lead to a slicing pain with sourness in my stomach.

Published: July 31

My peptic ulcer symptoms were severe. I had stabbing pain above my belly button area and nausea. I take over-the-counter Prilosec and have been dealing with ulcers since 1991. I'm dealing with a lot of pain, nausea and weakness right now. I might look to alternative medicines to see if something helps.

Published: July 22

With my peptic ulcer, I experienced severe pain in my upper abdomen and by my breast bone. The pain lasted four hours, and I was sweating from being in so much pain. I also had a loss of appetite and bloody, loose stool.

Published: June 09

I don't know yet if I have a Peptic Ulcer, but today for not obvious reason I have had on three occasions lost a lot of dark tarry substance, instead of my normal stool. I have NO pain at all, it's just when I feel the need to go to the toilet, it come out of me like liquid. I am and have been a user of NSAI tablets for quite a few years, without any problems. This has come completely out of no-where. Tomorrow I will see my doctor and see what can be done, but today I am quite scared.

Peptic Ulcer - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments did you receive for your peptic ulcer?
Peptic Ulcer - Causes Question: In your opinion, what was the cause of a peptic ulcer in you, a friend, or relative?
Peptic Ulcer - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your peptic ulcer? Please share your story.