Patient Comments: Peptic Ulcer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of your peptic ulcer?

Comment from: Ranxo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I have been experiencing pains (like heartburn) on my chest especially from 1 to 3 a.m. The doctor told me I have ulcer as a result of bacteria infections.

Comment from: TummyTrouble, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

After a week of pain, tightening of the abdomen, bloating, pain to my back I had an endoscopy. They found 13 ulcers in my stomach. I am taking Omeprazole now. It is still very uncomfortable and I cannot really eat or drink.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

My symptoms started with black tarry stools, weakness and light headedness, but no pain. I went to my doctor, who said that I needed to be admitted to a hospital as I had internal bleeding from an ulcer. I was admitted on the same day and stayed there for seven days of treatment. I needed a blood transfusion - 6 units - as by this time I was quite anemic with hemoglobin of 6.5, when the normal reading is 12. I was given omeprazole for the ulcer. The endoscopy showed I had a duodenal ulcer. The ulcer was negative for h. pylori, and was induced by NSAIDs namely Naproxen. This medication was stopped to prevent further damage, and I was advised not to take anti-inflammatory drugs at all. The onset of this illness was very sudden, and required fast medical help, otherwise I could have literally died from it. This was a very scary experience for me.

Comment from: tomdabom007, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I have been dealing with these ulcer problems for several weeks now, and was just diagnosed by a doctor. Before that I didn't know what the problem was, just that something was very wrong. My symptoms: Any time I ate a meal, I would soon develop an aching feeling in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen, and/or a burning, gnawing pain right below my breastbone, frequently followed by vomiting. The pain would last for from 5 to 8 hours. I have experienced kidney stones in the past, and if I rate that pain as a 10 (on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being no pain) then this pain could get as bad as a 7 or an 8.

Comment from: Flipper, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 29

A few weeks ago I began feeling slight stomach pain, a dull ache, enough to make me aware and uncomfortable. I had never had any health issues before, this was totally out of character for me. I follow a very healthy lifestyle and eat veggies, fruits and only seafood. I began drinking excessive amounts of wine during the last few months. I did some research and determined that I might have created an ulcer due to this binge drinking. I have suspicions about the possibility of the H-Pylori (Helicobacter)and/or Vibrio parasite infection. I looked up stomach cancer and my symptoms are very similar to its diagnosis since I am burping after meals and never did this before. I'm very scared now and confused. Most cancers become fatal because early symptoms are usually ignored. Nexium and Zantak did not help the dull ache, in fact, when I discontinued them the ache went away, but I still burp and feel warmth in my stomach after I eat. I have been under stress as well. I stopped drinking completely and I suppose if this is an alcohol induced ulcer, it should heal in a few months. I guess if symptoms don't get better by then I will visit a gastroenterologist.

Comment from: Lori S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I just recently was diagnosed with three peptic ulcers by having an upper endoscopy. Two months later, I had a re-check with an upper endoscopy, and there was five ulcers found. I have been on Prevacid for six years (ever since I was diagnosed with my first ulcer). The ulcers at one time or another seem to always heal on there own. But this is the first time multiple ulcers were found. I am hoping for the best. My worst symptom is I have spasms in my throat where I cannot swallow, and I have lost about 13 pounds, which is not good because my previous weight was only 115 pounds and I am down to 102 pounds at 5 feet 6 inches.

Comment from: Lailasmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was diagnosed with peptic ulcers at the age of 13, which is 22 years ago. I get flare-ups every so often. Two days ago was the worst one I felt in years and actually woke me up from a deep sleep. I was on Tagamet for years as a teen, but I haven't taken that in years and seemed like the only one that works for me. Just thought I would share. Ulcers never go away.

Peptic Ulcer - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments did you receive for your peptic ulcer?
Peptic Ulcer - Causes Question: In your opinion, what was the cause of a peptic ulcer in you, a friend, or relative?
Peptic Ulcer - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your peptic ulcer? Please share your story.