Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I've been suffering pelvic pain for over 2 weeks now. We've been trying to conceive and after my missed period I was anticipating a positive pregnancy test. But no, obstetrician/gynecologist diagnosed pelvic inflammatory disease 5 days ago. Tests for chlamydia, gonorrhea, yeast, bacterial vaginosis and trich were negative. I've been prescribed doxycycline and metronidazole. After 5 days on the medicines, still no improvement and doctor has refused to change the prescription. He told me to follow up after the medicines are done. I'm really scared that I am not doing enough to contain this disease.

Comment from: lonelygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) for the past three months. I have been to the emergency room twice and both times, doctors missed it. I suffered from very irregular periods, pains in lower abdomen, loss of appetite, high temperature, back pain, shoulder pain, white thick clumps or discharge, pain during intercourse, and leg pain. I do not have a sexually transmitted disease, though I did suffer from a urinary tract infection (UTI) just before the PID symptoms started. I have been on Flagyl for 7 days and doxycyline for 21 days. Symptoms are still there although a little bit better.

Comment from: TiffySis25, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had been having abdominal pain for 2 years and constant UTIs and bladder infections so I went to the doctor and they said I had chlamydia and took meds for it and later the symptoms went away. About 2 months after they came back and they told me I just had a bladder infection. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past 3 years and haven't been able to. They checked my thyroid and did some other blood tests and came up normal. I would just like to know if the abdominal pain and infections from PID can go away after it's been untreated because of all of the damage it has caused.

Comment from: sara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My pelvic inflammatory disease symptoms include irregular bleeding, lower back pain, pain in lower and upper legs, pains in left and right of lower abdomen, and painful intercourse at times.

Comment from: ewegross, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have PID caused by Chlamydia, thanks to my cheating husband. I went to the hospital after two days of excruciating stomach cramps and shoulder pain so bad I could not breathe. I was sent home with a prescription for generic antibiotics as they ran blood and urine tests and did not notice anything out of the norm. Still in pain, my family doctor was certain I had gall bladder disease (I'm only 25 and VERY healthy) It wasn't until I was informed that my husband was sleeping around that it clicked, and I went and got tested. Sure enough, I have a serious STI and may not be able to have kids again. I've been on 3 different antibiotics and still feel like crap.

Comment from: Pop, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I had PID twice. The first effective antibiotic is Doxyn and Flagyl for seven days. On my second PID, Doxyn and Flagyl are no longer effective. Same for Zithromax. But when I was prescribed clindamycin, I started feeling better.

Comment from: Ladylee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I've been suffering from PID for a year now. It's really hard, because I'm now on two kinds of antibiotics, the symptoms of cramping are still there, and I'm fatigued. I'm already on my fifth day of antibiotics and I'm scared that cramping will not go away after the antibiotics. It's hard – I don't have any pain, but the pressure in my ovary feels as if there is something pushing it downwards, which will be followed by shortness of breath, and nausea.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.