Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?

Comment from: A mother with PID, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with PID when I was 21. I spent three days in hospital on heavy IV antibiotics. I was told to my dismay and sadness that I would most likely not have children. I was distraught and conducted myself as If I never would. I was also told I could potentially have a recurrence of the symptoms and PID could flare up again. At the age of 24 I thought that I was having a flare up of PID and went to the Doctors office. They told me I was pregnant. I was shocked. For those of you that think it isn't possible to get pregnant or have children, don't give up hope. I have an 8-year-old daughter now!

Comment from: ScienceGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

The most effective treatment for my PID was 14 days of Doxycycline; 100 mg twice a day, Metronidazole twice a day for 14 days, and some Hydrocodone for the pain. I got PID from the bacterium Ureaplasma, which is highly disregarded and not understood by medical practitioners. The symptoms feel like a UTI, but negative test results always return. Negative tests for GC/Chlamydia as well. Sometimes, it is really hard to get a positive culture, and my symptoms have gone ignored because either doctors ignore the positive Ureaplasma or can't get a positive test result. I still keep demanding for this test, and I hope one day doctors and medical practitioners trust their patient's symptoms and treat Ureaplasma.

Comment from: bmcboulger, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had PID less than a month after getting an IUD put in. My pain tolerance is extremely high, but have never been in so much pain in my life. I couldn't walk to the bathroom, I had to have my boyfriend carry me up the stairs, I couldn't sit for more than 10 minutes without having to lay down. It would take me forever to pee due to the extreme pain I was in every time I pushed. I was hunched over and could not flatten my back. The pain was from my belly button all the way down and around to my butt hole. I was admitted into the ER and was there 15 hours. When they did the pelvic exam I threw up due to the pain when the doctor pushed on my stomach. The next day at my OBGYN was when I was diagnosed with PID, at this time there was no research that had been released about an IUD causing PID. Countless tests were done and I was put on antibiotics. He admitted me to the hospital overnight so he could keep his eyes on me. He told me that he had never seen it this bad. I had about 15cc's of fluid in me when he did the ultrasound. When I asked him about my chances of having children after this, he told me he would be surprised if I carried my own children. The pain felt like I was being cut from the inside out with a butter knife. It was the worst pain of my life.

Comment from: skk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

For now I am being treated with Metronidazole and another antibiotic. The doctor wasn't sure if it was chlamydia, bacterial vagnosis, or gonorrhea. My only symptoms were horrible discharge (the most noticeable of all symptoms), gradually I developed some mild lower abdominal pain on my right side which also migrated to my back. I haven't had a noticeable fever. Who knows, I get my test back today to confirm what exactly has caused this.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.