Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: goingthruhell, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 18 turning 19. I have had severe bloating, abdominal pains, back aches, frequent urinating and pressure in the vagina and what it feels like to be my bladder. I have been tested negative for bladder infections. My vagina also has not been the same, it feels dryer and it also smells kind of bad and I have been getting weird colored thick discharge. I am so scared that this is never going to go away and I am going to have to deal with this forever. I wonder if I could have pelvic inflammatory disease, or if it could be bacterial vaginosis. I have been dealing with this for about 5 months now. The doctors and hospitals don't know what it is, I am really scared.

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm 21 and just had a baby 4 months ago but hemorrhaged and had to have surgery. I had a Bakri balloon put in me, and 3 months later I started getting green discharge. Then just one day I started getting really high fevers, upper and lower abdominal pain, and blood in my urine. Finally I went to the emergency room and they pumped me with morphine because the pain was that bad. They finally decided to do the operation and it was pelvic inflammatory disease. They cleaned all the pus out, and I was on antibiotics through IV for 6 days, then oral for 10 days. Symptoms had gone for about 3 weeks and now all symptoms are back, and I've lost 10 kilos within the last 3 weeks. I have 2 little baby girls under 2 so I can't just go to the hospital, but if I do I have a feeling they will be doing more surgery. I have been living off strong pain killers.

Comment from: SARAH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I normally have pain in the lower belly because of pelvic inflammatory disease. It can be very painful to the extent of bleeding even when I am not in my period. I did a scan and I was told that I have fluid in the pouch of Douglas. I need help.

Comment from: Theodora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 55 I have not had yeast infection for approximately 6 to 7 years. A few weeks ago during the night I noticed what I thought to be a discharge but different from the normal. I am no longer having my periods, and had no real problems while I had menstruation cycles, this clear type discharge continued. I purchased medication from drug store, 1 day cure Monistat. I was not having any pain. This did not work. I next called my family doctor and received a urine test and they said yes, to a urine infection this was a 5 day antibiotic, but 4th day of treatment I started having lots of lower abdominal pain and very frequent urination with little or small amounts of urine. I then went to an emergency clinic, they took another urine test. This text was negative and no fever. The doctor then said I have pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). I am now on a new antibiotic along with Vesicare. It has been 3 days today, I can still feel smaller pains and the urine is getting a little better, but urination is still very small amounts. I hope this helps someone else. I am doing better, it is a little slow but at least things are better. I am not sure if anything else has to be looked into at this.

Comment from: sarahjane, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) the day after my 20th birthday. I had gone into the emergency room about 3 weeks before with severe stomach pains in my lower right side, a fever, uncontrollable shaking and I had tachycardia, nausea with some vomiting. As they thought it was appendicitis, they opted to remove my appendix that day, as they said it didn't seem they had very much time to run tests. About 4 to 5 hours later I was being prepped for surgery; I was so happy that they were going to fix my pain, but didn't feel much better after the operation. But they said it would take up to 8 weeks to heal so I didn't think much of it, until my birthday, when I was in tears from the pain, lying in bed feeling sick. I thought it may pass, but then I started vomiting so I went back up to the hospital. A few tests and an ultrasound later I found out I had 90ml of fluid in my right tube, so in for surgery I went again, they flushed out my tube and I felt so much better as soon as I woke up. But I have since then been having irregular bleeding, which my doctor said was from the operation, but it's been two months. Also, the infection that caused all my pain was an e-coli infection, so it's not always an STD/STI.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.