Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm 21 and just had a baby 4 months ago but hemorrhaged and had to have surgery. I had a Bakri balloon put in me, and 3 months later I started getting green discharge. Then just one day I started getting really high fevers, upper and lower abdominal pain, and blood in my urine. Finally I went to the emergency room and they pumped me with morphine because the pain was that bad. They finally decided to do the operation and it was pelvic inflammatory disease. They cleaned all the pus out, and I was on antibiotics through IV for 6 days, then oral for 10 days. Symptoms had gone for about 3 weeks and now all symptoms are back, and I've lost 10 kilos within the last 3 weeks. I have 2 little baby girls under 2 so I can't just go to the hospital, but if I do I have a feeling they will be doing more surgery. I have been living off strong pain killers.

Comment from: SARAH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I normally have pain in the lower belly because of pelvic inflammatory disease. It can be very painful to the extent of bleeding even when I am not in my period. I did a scan and I was told that I have fluid in the pouch of Douglas. I need help.

Comment from: Theodora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 55 I have not had yeast infection for approximately 6 to 7 years. A few weeks ago during the night I noticed what I thought to be a discharge but different from the normal. I am no longer having my periods, and had no real problems while I had menstruation cycles, this clear type discharge continued. I purchased medication from drug store, 1 day cure Monistat. I was not having any pain. This did not work. I next called my family doctor and received a urine test and they said yes, to a urine infection this was a 5 day antibiotic, but 4th day of treatment I started having lots of lower abdominal pain and very frequent urination with little or small amounts of urine. I then went to an emergency clinic, they took another urine test. This text was negative and no fever. The doctor then said I have pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). I am now on a new antibiotic along with Vesicare. It has been 3 days today, I can still feel smaller pains and the urine is getting a little better, but urination is still very small amounts. I hope this helps someone else. I am doing better, it is a little slow but at least things are better. I am not sure if anything else has to be looked into at this.

Comment from: sarahjane, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) the day after my 20th birthday. I had gone into the emergency room about 3 weeks before with severe stomach pains in my lower right side, a fever, uncontrollable shaking and I had tachycardia, nausea with some vomiting. As they thought it was appendicitis, they opted to remove my appendix that day, as they said it didn't seem they had very much time to run tests. About 4 to 5 hours later I was being prepped for surgery; I was so happy that they were going to fix my pain, but didn't feel much better after the operation. But they said it would take up to 8 weeks to heal so I didn't think much of it, until my birthday, when I was in tears from the pain, lying in bed feeling sick. I thought it may pass, but then I started vomiting so I went back up to the hospital. A few tests and an ultrasound later I found out I had 90ml of fluid in my right tube, so in for surgery I went again, they flushed out my tube and I felt so much better as soon as I woke up. But I have since then been having irregular bleeding, which my doctor said was from the operation, but it's been two months. Also, the infection that caused all my pain was an e-coli infection, so it's not always an STD/STI.

Comment from: tessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had been suffering from period pains for years and I never bothered about it. Seven years ago I bled and had pain during intercourse and I never took it seriously, but the pain continued for months until I decided to see a doctor. He tested me for STI (sexually transmitted infection) and HIV and it was negative but the pain continued. I had pain the day before or after my periods and also during intercourse, mainly pelvic. When now and then I had irregular periods and every time I would go to the doctor, he would only tell me about the bladder infection and he'd tell me it is normal at my age and I am not the only one, and treat it, until he told me to use cranberry as I was spending money unnecessarily by consulting him all the time for bladder infection. I even went to do Pap smear many times and my results were okay. Early this year in January I had unbearable pain that was like labor pains, during my periods and I also had clots. I decided to see 3 different gynecologists to get different results and the first one told me I had endometriosis and cyst and the second one told me both ovaries had cyst then the last one said left endometriosis cyst. I went for laparoscopy hysterectomy only to find out I had PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) and my left ovary was blocked and I also had Fitz Hugh Curtis syndrome and they had to separate my uterus from the glands. But now I am fine and 6 months after the operation after years of sickness and no one knowing what I was suffering from.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.