Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: behaved1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was diagnosed with severe chronic pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) when I was 20 years old caused by a sexually transmitted disease (STD). I went to many different doctors, and they never found it. I had it for so long that I am infertile. I suggest to anyone having intercourse to get checked for STDs regularly and make your doctor listen to you. I am now damaged for the rest of my life, and I am now 27 and still having complications with this!

Comment from: 12345, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I am 31 years old and was recently diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). I did my yearly pap smears, but nothing was found from them. I recently had surgery. My doctor removed my right ovary and tube. He also made an incision on my left tube to drain the fluids and hopefully unblock the tube so I can get pregnant in the future. The surgery was very painful, and I have to be off work for eight weeks.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

When they first told me I had pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), I was scared out of my mind. I don't have any STDs. They still are trying to figure out why I got PID. At first, I felt sick. I couldn't eat; I had really bad pain in my lower stomach; I had pain in my legs, back, and pelvic area; and I had discharge but no periods.

Comment from: Margie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been having urinary infections, until last May. I was given this Cravat 10tabs 500 Antibiotic for 1 week. Besides this I have been taking Postern 2tabs for unprotected sex. My last period was in April 2 days prior to this I will have spotting like its going to come. This month, my period did not come, but I thought it would come last week I have the same discharge of reddish colour like its coming. I don't have swelling in my breasts, vomiting or nausea, my feelings tells me its coming. I wonder whether the Anti biotics that I took gives an impact on my period. I do have this pain in my lower right pelvis, and sometimes the pain affects my right leg too. I'm 42 and I thought probably the busy weekends caused me to feel tired.

Comment from: Kristel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have had pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) for nearly three years, but I was always misdiagnosed with bladder infections, etc. I found out today that I have PID caused by two sexually transmitted diseases that I got as a result of rape three years ago. My symptoms are severe sharp pain in my lower abdomen, irregular bleeding, pain with sexual intercourse, discharge, nausea, and I am very tired all the time. I still don't know if I am infertile or not, and it is a horrible thought that I may never have kids, as I am only 19.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I went to the doctor today and found that I too have PID. My symptoms were really bad stomach pains, back pain and I couldn't walk. The part that saddens me the most is the possibility of me not getting pregnant in the future. I was with this same man for four years and later found out he has cheated the entire time.

Comment from: no_l, 25-34 Female Published: August 12

I was just diagnosed with PID this week. I spent almost a week being misdiagnosed with a UTI. When I went back to the doctor twice because the medications weren't working, they didn't believe me, and just put me on something else for the UTI. Finally, I went back a third time and the doctor finally listened to me. They tested me for the two STDs, but I don't have them. My abdomen and lower back are constantly in pain. As far as they know, I got PID from the UTI.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed with PID yesterday and I'm terrified I could never be able to have a baby, I'm 19 I didn't even know something like this could happen and I don't know how to deal with it. The doctors are unsure of the cause, but not unsure of the damage that has already been done to my reproductive organs. I have severe scarring in my fallopian tubes that will more than likely leave me infertile, they said surgery could help, but just be safe make sure you and your partner both get checked and make sure his penis is washed and clean if you are going to have unprotected sex, you don't want this for yourself, but it could happen to anybody.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.