Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: Kristel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have had pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) for nearly three years, but I was always misdiagnosed with bladder infections, etc. I found out today that I have PID caused by two sexually transmitted diseases that I got as a result of rape three years ago. My symptoms are severe sharp pain in my lower abdomen, irregular bleeding, pain with sexual intercourse, discharge, nausea, and I am very tired all the time. I still don't know if I am infertile or not, and it is a horrible thought that I may never have kids, as I am only 19.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I went to the doctor today and found that I too have PID. My symptoms were really bad stomach pains, back pain and I couldn't walk. The part that saddens me the most is the possibility of me not getting pregnant in the future. I was with this same man for four years and later found out he has cheated the entire time.

Comment from: no_l, 25-34 Female Published: August 12

I was just diagnosed with PID this week. I spent almost a week being misdiagnosed with a UTI. When I went back to the doctor twice because the medications weren't working, they didn't believe me, and just put me on something else for the UTI. Finally, I went back a third time and the doctor finally listened to me. They tested me for the two STDs, but I don't have them. My abdomen and lower back are constantly in pain. As far as they know, I got PID from the UTI.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed with PID yesterday and I'm terrified I could never be able to have a baby, I'm 19 I didn't even know something like this could happen and I don't know how to deal with it. The doctors are unsure of the cause, but not unsure of the damage that has already been done to my reproductive organs. I have severe scarring in my fallopian tubes that will more than likely leave me infertile, they said surgery could help, but just be safe make sure you and your partner both get checked and make sure his penis is washed and clean if you are going to have unprotected sex, you don't want this for yourself, but it could happen to anybody.

Comment from: Tbbrackins, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have strong pain in my lower and middle abdomen. I had PID before a few years back. It hurts to move around or even sitting is painful. It feels like someone is twisting and shredding my stomach. It's excruciating.

Comment from: lilsexyct, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am 42, my cycle is normal 28 days bleeding 3-5 days. I had a tubal (tied, clipped and burned) 19yrs ago, I had unprotected sex 2x's in June. Since July, I've had continuous cramping. My cycle was only 1 day. I'm always exhausted and have uncontrollable sleeping. The doctor stated that STD's and pregnancy tests were negative and to come back in 4 weeks with a journal.

Comment from: hurley0327, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was in the hospital 2 nights ago and they told me I have PID and a couple of other things. I have only been with my boyfriend for 8 years so I shouldn't have an STD is there anything else that can cause this?

Comment from: choctaw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease, and went through a DNC, and heavy antibiotics. I was 35, and I only had one sex partner, my husband at the time. I did not understand it like I do now. My Question is could it mean I received this from my husbands unfaithfulness?

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.